Re: rubyforge.org down

Tom Copeland

10/10/2006 8:52:00 PM

> RubyForge is down... investigating now.

It's back up now. We may be having hardware issues - the machine seems
to be just halting without writing anything to the system log. I'm
somewhat flummoxed.

Yours,

Tom

28 Answers

James Gray

On Oct 10, 2006, at 3:52 PM, Tom Copeland wrote:

>> RubyForge is down... investigating now.
>
> It's back up now. We may be having hardware issues - the machine
> seems
> to be just halting without writing anything to the system log. I'm
> somewhat flummoxed.

My high school programming teacher had a saying for this... "Man I
hate computers." ;)

James Edward Gray II

Tom Copeland

> > It's back up now. We may be having hardware issues - the machine
> > seems
> > to be just halting without writing anything to the system log. I'm
> > somewhat flummoxed.
>
> My high school programming teacher had a saying for this... "Man I
> hate computers." ;)

Yup, it's getting to the point where suggestions like "let's replace all
the RAM chips" are starting to sound reasonable. Although I hate to
pester RubyCentral for more hardware money...

Yours,

Tom

Tim Bray

On Oct 10, 2006, at 2:08 PM, Tom Copeland wrote:

> Yup, it's getting to the point where suggestions like "let's
> replace all
> the RAM chips" are starting to sound reasonable. Although I hate to
> pester RubyCentral for more hardware money...

What kind of a server do you have in mind? I may be able to help. -Tim

Ara.T.Howard

Tom Copeland

On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 06:21 +0900, Tim Bray wrote:
> On Oct 10, 2006, at 2:08 PM, Tom Copeland wrote:
>
> > Yup, it's getting to the point where suggestions like "let's
> > replace all
> > the RAM chips" are starting to sound reasonable. Although I hate to
> > pester RubyCentral for more hardware money...
>
> What kind of a server do you have in mind? I may be able to help. -Tim

Oh, the current machine can handle the load just fine; I'm just
wondering if flaky RAM may be causing the problems.

Yours,

Tom

Tom Copeland

On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 06:51 +0900, ara.t.howard@noaa.gov wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Oct 2006, Tom Copeland wrote:
>
> >> RubyForge is down... investigating now.
> >
> > It's back up now. We may be having hardware issues - the machine seems
> > to be just halting without writing anything to the system log. I'm
> > somewhat flummoxed.
>
> full parition?

Nah, it's just got two partitions - /boot and /. / has about 600 GB
free, so no problem there :-)

Yours,

Tom

Devin Mullins

Tom Copeland wrote:
> It's back up now. We may be having hardware issues - the machine seems
> to be just halting without writing anything to the system log. I'm
> somewhat flummoxed.
Check into OS-hardware incompatibilities. My motherboard causes the same
problem with Linux due to some weird-ass chipset timing issue (until you
`athcool off` or whatever). Granted, I doubt you're running on a 4 year
old nForce 2, but, you know...... linux sucks *runs*

*runs back* Seriously, though, Google. *runs*

Bill Kelly

From: "Tom Copeland" <tom@infoether.com>

> Yup, it's getting to the point where suggestions like "let's replace all
> the RAM chips" are starting to sound reasonable. Although I hate to
> pester RubyCentral for more hardware money...

I had RAM go bad on one of our home PC's last year. It does
take awhile to get to that "let's replace all the RAM chips"
threshold, doesn't it. I forget all the troubleshooting steps
I'd taken before arriving there, but they were many. The
problem manifested itself in such weird ways. It got to the
point where I wanted to download and re-apply the microsoft
service packs (this was a win2k box), and when I'd download
the 30MB file from the networked PC upstairs, it wouldn't
extract properly, claiming it was corrupted. I forget all
the diagnostics I tried (other symptoms were random crashes
of applications or the whole OS)... eventually after
replacing IDE cables and I think even the boot/system hard
drive, I realized, jesus it might well be the RAM. Turned
out it was! The last time I'd had RAM go bad was about 14
years earlier on an Amiga development system. :-)

Good luck!

If your motherboard is flexible with RAM configuration and
you have multiple DIMMs, maybe you'll be able to try
swapping out some DIMMs and hopefully end up isolating
the bad one. (That's what I did, but the system only had
two DIMMs, so it was easy.)

Regards,

Bill

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Bill Kelly wrote:
> From: "Tom Copeland" <tom@infoether.com>
>>
>> Yup, it's getting to the point where suggestions like "let's replace all
>> the RAM chips" are starting to sound reasonable. Although I hate to
>> pester RubyCentral for more hardware money...
>
> I had RAM go bad on one of our home PC's last year. It does
> take awhile to get to that "let's replace all the RAM chips"
> threshold, doesn't it. I forget all the troubleshooting steps
> I'd taken before arriving there, but they were many. The problem
> manifested itself in such weird ways. It got to the
> point where I wanted to download and re-apply the microsoft
> service packs (this was a win2k box), and when I'd download
> the 30MB file from the networked PC upstairs, it wouldn't
> extract properly, claiming it was corrupted. I forget all
> the diagnostics I tried (other symptoms were random crashes
> of applications or the whole OS)... eventually after replacing IDE
> cables and I think even the boot/system hard
> drive, I realized, jesus it might well be the RAM. Turned out it was!
> The last time I'd had RAM go bad was about 14
> years earlier on an Amiga development system. :-)
>
> Good luck!
>
> If your motherboard is flexible with RAM configuration and
> you have multiple DIMMs, maybe you'll be able to try
> swapping out some DIMMs and hopefully end up isolating the bad one.
> (That's what I did, but the system only had
> two DIMMs, so it was easy.)

memtest86 is your friend ... although you need another server to run
your apps while memtest86 is grinding away on the suspect one.

Charles Oliver Nutter

Tom Copeland wrote:
> Oh, the current machine can handle the load just fine; I'm just
> wondering if flaky RAM may be causing the problems.

So now let me get this straight...you're not interested in potential new
hardware? I'll take it if you don't want it! :)

--
Charles Oliver Nutter, JRuby Core Developer
headius@headius.com -- charles.o.nutter@sun.com
Blogging at headius.blogspot.com