useful at_exit idiom

Ara.T.Howard

Yukihiro Matsumoto

In message "Re: useful at_exit idiom"
on Tue, 10 Oct 2006 13:21:21 +0900, ara.t.howard@noaa.gov writes:

|i'm constantly struggling with the fact that children need to use exit! to
|prevent exit handlers registered in the parent being called twice,

|i'm sure i'm not the first one to think of this, but it sure is handy to
|separate the parent's handlers from the child's... anyone see issues with
|this?

linux man atexit(3) says:

When a child process is created via fork(), it inherits copies
of the its parents registrations. Upon a successful call to one
of the exec() functions, all registrations are removed.

so I think this is expected behavior for most of the cases, since Ruby
inherits many behaviors from C libraries.

matz.