[ANN] Ruva: Pure-ruby toy (J)VM

Ross Bamford

For anyone who's interested in this kind of stuff, I just uploaded my
pure-ruby toy JVM to Rubyforge. It's obviously very slow, but can be
useful for seeing how things work or debugging generated classes that
won't verify. It can do some reasonable class-dumps and execution
traces, too. It's probably about 70% complete, with most instructions
implemented, and currently has some integration with the GNU Classpath
runtime library.

http://ruva.ruby...
http://rubyforge.org/pro...
svn checkout svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/ruva/trunk

--
Ross Bamford - rosco@roscopeco.REMOVE.co.uk

21 Answers

pat eyler

Wow!

On 10/9/06, Ross Bamford <rossrt@roscopeco.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For anyone who's interested in this kind of stuff, I just uploaded my
> pure-ruby toy JVM to Rubyforge. It's obviously very slow, but can be
> useful for seeing how things work or debugging generated classes that
> won't verify. It can do some reasonable class-dumps and execution
> traces, too. It's probably about 70% complete, with most instructions
> implemented, and currently has some integration with the GNU Classpath
> runtime library.

Okay, I'm boggled. This is really cool (even it it's just a toy).

> http://ruva.ruby...
> http://rubyforge.org/pro...
> svn checkout svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/ruva/trunk
>
> --
> Ross Bamford - rosco@roscopeco.REMOVE.co.uk

--
thanks,
-pate

Simen

On 10/9/06, Ross Bamford <rossrt@roscopeco.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For anyone who's interested in this kind of stuff, I just uploaded my
> pure-ruby toy JVM to Rubyforge. It's obviously very slow, but can be
> useful for seeing how things work or debugging generated classes that
> won't verify. It can do some reasonable class-dumps and execution
> traces, too. It's probably about 70% complete, with most instructions
> implemented, and currently has some integration with the GNU Classpath
> runtime library.
>
> http://ruva.ruby...
> http://rubyforge.org/pro...
> svn checkout svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/ruva/trunk
>
> --
> Ross Bamford - rosco@roscopeco.REMOVE.co.uk

That is very very cool. I'll definetely be playing with this.

--
- Simen

Austin Ziegler

On 10/9/06, Ross Bamford <rossrt@roscopeco.co.uk> wrote:
> For anyone who's interested in this kind of stuff, I just uploaded my
> pure-ruby toy JVM to Rubyforge. It's obviously very slow, but can be
> useful for seeing how things work or debugging generated classes that
> won't verify. It can do some reasonable class-dumps and execution
> traces, too. It's probably about 70% complete, with most instructions
> implemented, and currently has some integration with the GNU Classpath
> runtime library.

So ... anyone up for JRuby on Ruva?

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com * http://www.halo...
* austin@halostatue.ca * http://www.halo...feed/

Matt Lawrence

Austin Ziegler

On 10/9/06, Matt Lawrence <matt@technoronin.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2006, Austin Ziegler wrote:
> > So ... anyone up for JRuby on Ruva?
> You're a sick man.

Thank you.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com * http://www.halo...
* austin@halostatue.ca * http://www.halo...feed/
* austin@zieglers.ca

Matt Lawrence

Austin Ziegler

On 10/9/06, Matt Lawrence <matt@technoronin.com> wrote:
> You are quite welcome. Hope to see you at RubyConf.

I'll be there. Looking forward to it.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com * http://www.halo...
* austin@halostatue.ca * http://www.halo...feed/
* austin@zieglers.ca

Christian Neukirchen

Ross Bamford <rossrt@roscopeco.co.uk> writes:

> Hi,
>
> For anyone who's interested in this kind of stuff, I just uploaded my
> pure-ruby toy JVM to Rubyforge. It's obviously very slow, but can be
> useful for seeing how things work or debugging generated classes that
> won't verify. It can do some reasonable class-dumps and execution
> traces, too. It's probably about 70% complete, with most instructions
> implemented, and currently has some integration with the GNU Classpath
> runtime library.

Can it run JRuby? ;)

--
Christian Neukirchen <chneukirchen@gmail.com> http://chneuk...

Joel VanderWerf

Christian Neukirchen wrote:
> Ross Bamford <rossrt@roscopeco.co.uk> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> For anyone who's interested in this kind of stuff, I just uploaded my
>> pure-ruby toy JVM to Rubyforge. It's obviously very slow, but can be
>> useful for seeing how things work or debugging generated classes that
>> won't verify. It can do some reasonable class-dumps and execution
>> traces, too. It's probably about 70% complete, with most instructions
>> implemented, and currently has some integration with the GNU Classpath
>> runtime library.
>
> Can it run JRuby? ;)

Why stop there? Can JRuby run Ruva?

Drew Olson