[ANN] Instant Rails 1.4 final released (with RadRails support!

Curt Hibbs

10/9/2006 1:08:00 PM

This is the final release for Instant Rails 1.4. It corrects the two
known problems with the preview1 release (two help menu items
caused Instant Rails to crash). Instant Rails 1.4 contains the following
major changes:

* Upgrades Rails to version 1.1.6
(other components upgraded to current release, also)

* SCGI has been replaced by Mongrel (using Apache's
mod_proxy for forward requests).

* For the development server, WEBrick has also been
replaced by Mongrel.

* Automatic RadRails configuration: if your choose
your Instant Rails "rails_apps" subdirectory as
your workspace, then all of the RadRails paths
(to ruby, rake, ri, rdoc, etc.) will be automatically
set.

Known Problems
--------------

There are two known problems: If you select the menu items
"Help > Getting Started" or "Help > Release Notes", Instant
Rails will crash. For the time being, you can read these two
topics from the web site:

http://instantrails.ruby...

Instant Rails includes a number of open source software
packages. Below is a list of all included software in
Instant Rails 1.4.

Primary Instant Rails Components

* Instant Rails Manager 1.4

* Ruby 1.8.5 (from the One-Click Ruby Installer 1.8.5-21)

* Ruby on Rails 1.1.6

* Apache 1.3.33

* MySQL 4.1.9

* MySQL/Ruby 2.7 (native driver)

* Mongrel 0.3.13.3

* phpMyAdmin 2.6.1

Preinstalled Sample Apps

* Cookbook app from (ONLamp.com article)

* Typo 2.6.0

Ancillary Instant Rails Components

These components are not the primary focus of Instant Rails,
but are included because the primary components above depend
upon them.

* PHP 4.3.10

* Rake 0.7.1

* cmdparse 2.0.0

* HighLine 1.0.1

3 Answers

Curt Hibbs

In this announcement, I forgot to delete the section "Known Problems".
Those problems have been fixed, so please ignore that statement.

Thanks,
Curt

On 10/9/06, Curt Hibbs <ml.chibbs@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is the final release for Instant Rails 1.4. It corrects the two
> known problems with the preview1 release (two help menu items
> caused Instant Rails to crash). Instant Rails 1.4 contains the following
> major changes:
>
> * Upgrades Rails to version 1.1.6
> (other components upgraded to current release, also)
>
> * SCGI has been replaced by Mongrel (using Apache's
> mod_proxy for forward requests).
>
> * For the development server, WEBrick has also been
> replaced by Mongrel.
>
> * Automatic RadRails configuration: if your choose
> your Instant Rails "rails_apps" subdirectory as
> your workspace, then all of the RadRails paths
> (to ruby, rake, ri, rdoc, etc.) will be automatically
> set.
>
> Known Problems
> --------------
>
> There are two known problems: If you select the menu items
> "Help > Getting Started" or "Help > Release Notes", Instant
> Rails will crash. For the time being, you can read these two
> topics from the web site:
>
> http://instantrails.ruby...

> Instant Rails includes a number of open source software
> packages. Below is a list of all included software in
> Instant Rails 1.4.
>
> Primary Instant Rails Components
>
> * Instant Rails Manager 1.4
>
> * Ruby 1.8.5 (from the One-Click Ruby Installer 1.8.5-21)
>
> * Ruby on Rails 1.1.6
>
> * Apache 1.3.33
>
> * MySQL 4.1.9
>
> * MySQL/Ruby 2.7 (native driver)
>
> * Mongrel 0.3.13.3
>
> * phpMyAdmin 2.6.1
>
> Preinstalled Sample Apps
>
> * Cookbook app from (ONLamp.com article)
>
> * Typo 2.6.0
>
> Ancillary Instant Rails Components
>
> These components are not the primary focus of Instant Rails,
> but are included because the primary components above depend
> upon them.
>
> * PHP 4.3.10
>
> * Rake 0.7.1
>
> * cmdparse 2.0.0
>
> * HighLine 1.0.1

Curt Hibbs

Ahh... thanks for reminding me. You can find the upgrade instructions here:

http://instantrails.ruby...wiki/wiki.pl?How_...

On 10/9/06, Dark Ambient <sambient@gmail.com> wrote:
> How does the mysql update work, I don't want to lose what's in there
> obviously ?
> Is that in the documentation ?
>
> Stuart
>
> On 10/9/06, Curt Hibbs <ml.chibbs@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > In this announcement, I forgot to delete the section "Known Problems".
> > Those problems have been fixed, so please ignore that statement.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Curt
> >
> > On 10/9/06, Curt Hibbs <ml.chibbs@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > This is the final release for Instant Rails 1.4. It corrects the two
> > > known problems with the preview1 release (two help menu items
> > > caused Instant Rails to crash). Instant Rails 1.4 contains the following
> > > major changes:
> > >
> > > * Upgrades Rails to version 1.1.6
> > > (other components upgraded to current release, also)
> > >
> > > * SCGI has been replaced by Mongrel (using Apache's
> > > mod_proxy for forward requests).
> > >
> > > * For the development server, WEBrick has also been
> > > replaced by Mongrel.
> > >
> > > * Automatic RadRails configuration: if your choose
> > > your Instant Rails "rails_apps" subdirectory as
> > > your workspace, then all of the RadRails paths
> > > (to ruby, rake, ri, rdoc, etc.) will be automatically
> > > set.
> > >
> > > Known Problems
> > > --------------
> > >
> > > There are two known problems: If you select the menu items
> > > "Help > Getting Started" or "Help > Release Notes", Instant
> > > Rails will crash. For the time being, you can read these two
> > > topics from the web site:
> > >
> > > http://instantrails.ruby...
> > >
> > > =========================================
> > >
> > > Instant Rails includes a number of open source software
> > > packages. Below is a list of all included software in
> > > Instant Rails 1.4.
> > >
> > > Primary Instant Rails Components
> > >
> > > * Instant Rails Manager 1.4
> > >
> > > * Ruby 1.8.5 (from the One-Click Ruby Installer 1.8.5-21)
> > >
> > > * Ruby on Rails 1.1.6
> > >
> > > * Apache 1.3.33
> > >
> > > * MySQL 4.1.9
> > >
> > > * MySQL/Ruby 2.7 (native driver)
> > >
> > > * Mongrel 0.3.13.3
> > >
> > > * phpMyAdmin 2.6.1
> > >
> > > Preinstalled Sample Apps
> > >
> > > * Cookbook app from (ONLamp.com article)
> > >
> > > * Typo 2.6.0
> > >
> > > Ancillary Instant Rails Components
> > >
> > > These components are not the primary focus of Instant Rails,
> > > but are included because the primary components above depend
> > > upon them.
> > >
> > > * PHP 4.3.10
> > >
> > > * Rake 0.7.1
> > >
> > > * cmdparse 2.0.0
> > >
> > > * HighLine 1.0.1
> > >

> --
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Da...

Curt Hibbs

On 10/9/06, Dark Ambient <sambient@gmail.com> wrote:
> How does the mysql update work, I don't want to lose what's in there
> obviously ?
> Is that in the documentation ?

Ahh... thanks for reminding me. You can find the upgrade instructions here:

http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?How_...

Curt