Re: rb_funcall() Ruby code callback invoked from within a native thread?

Serge Kruppa

10/6/2006 1:43:00 PM

Hello Francis,

Please allow me to sidestep for a moment on our current thread of discussion
to report three issues we have detected with EventMachine on Windows:

1) The latest Windows binary gem posted on RubyForge cannot be successfully
installed and comes back with the following error message:

ERROR: Error installing gem eventmachine-0.5.3-mswin32[.gem]: buffer error

2) I have posted on the RubyForge EventMachine bug tracker a possible bug in
building EventMachine from the sources using Visual Studio Express 2005.

3) Another person in the team reported the same problem under Windows
(EventMachine 0.5.2) that I saw under Linux when running EM inside a thread:

EW> There is one serious issue left. The Event Machine udp server that is
used to replace the callbacks from the C native code to the ruby code dies
after processing just one message. Apparently this has to do with the
necessity of it running in the main thread. The main thread in the windows
program is however used by the windows gui event loop. Probably the best
approach is to use a simple udp server, just like in the java version.

I'm sure I should have posted this in the EventMachine-Talk list but I just
can't get access to the Web page that is supposed to validate me :(

Best Regards,

Serge