Installing Ruby from source on OSX

Drew Olson

10/5/2006 11:31:00 PM

I've become a die-hard Ruby fan in the past few months. I'm currently
using 1.8.5 on my work PC and want to upgrade on my mac at home, which
is currently running 1.8.2. It seems the neither Fink nor Darwinports
has 1.8.5 available so I'd like to install from source, but I've never
done this before.

Can anyone offer help (like step by step) to a total newbie when it
comes to installing from source?

curtis.schofield@gmail.com

On 5-Oct-06, at 5:30 PM, Drew Olson wrote:

> I've become a die-hard Ruby fan in the past few months. I'm currently
> using 1.8.5 on my work PC and want to upgrade on my mac at home, which
> is currently running 1.8.2. It seems the neither Fink nor Darwinports
> has 1.8.5 available so I'd like to install from source, but I've never
> done this before.
>
> Can anyone offer help (like step by step) to a total newbie when it
> comes to installing from source?

/configure --prefix=/usr/local/ruby-1.85 && make && sudo make install

?

Charles Oliver Nutter

Drew Olson wrote:
> I've become a die-hard Ruby fan in the past few months. I'm currently
> using 1.8.5 on my work PC and want to upgrade on my mac at home, which
> is currently running 1.8.2. It seems the neither Fink nor Darwinports
> has 1.8.5 available so I'd like to install from source, but I've never
> done this before.

I'm running off DarwinPorta (MacPorts) and it is already 1.8.5. Make
sure your ports are up-to-date. (port selfupdate)

Nutters-Computer:~/Documents/workspace/jruby headius$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.5 (2006-08-25) [i686-darwin8.7.1]

--
Charles Oliver Nutter, JRuby Core Developer
headius@headius.com -- charles.o.nutter@sun.com
Blogging at headius.blogspot.com

Chris Hall

this should be able to get you up and running.

http://hivelogic.com/articles/2005/12/02/ruby_rails_lighttpd_m...

just follow the instructions for installing ruby.

On 10/5/06, Drew Olson <olsonas@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've become a die-hard Ruby fan in the past few months. I'm currently
> using 1.8.5 on my work PC and want to upgrade on my mac at home, which
> is currently running 1.8.2. It seems the neither Fink nor Darwinports
> has 1.8.5 available so I'd like to install from source, but I've never
> done this before.
>
> Can anyone offer help (like step by step) to a total newbie when it
> comes to installing from source?

Erik J. Barzeski

Drew,

"Drew Olson" <olsonas@gmail.com> wrote on 10/5/06 7:30 pm:
> I've become a die-hard Ruby fan in the past few months. I'm currently
> using 1.8.5 on my work PC and want to upgrade on my mac at home, which
> is currently running 1.8.2. It seems the neither Fink nor Darwinports
> has 1.8.5 available so I'd like to install from source, but I've never
> done this before.
>
> Can anyone offer help (like step by step) to a total newbie when it
> comes to installing from source?

I followed the instructions at Hivelogic[1]. I ran into one problem, but
solved that in the comments at my blog[2]. Other URLs that may help or point
to common errors are included afterwards [3, 4]

1:
<http://hivelogic.com/articles/2005/12/01/ruby_rails_lighttpd_mysql...
2:
<http://nslog.com/archives/2006/10/04/building_ruby_rails_lighttpd...
_on_tiger.php>

3:
<http://www.nabble.com/Ruby-1.8.4-Mac-OS-X-readline-problems-t80188...
4: <http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic...

--
Best wishes,
Erik J. Barzeski

1 + 1 = 3; // for large values of 1
AIM: iacas BLOG: nslog.com GOLF: thesandtrap.com

Bil Kleb

Curtis Schofield wrote:

> /configure --prefix=/usr/local/ruby-1.85 && make && sudo make install

Is --enable-install-doc on by default now?

Later,
--
Bil Kleb
http://fun3d.lar...

curtis.schofield@gmail.com

I have no idea.

Neither do i know what sort of options they want

/configure --help