export environment variable

Mohammad Khan

10/4/2006 5:30:00 PM

I would like to accomplish something like this in a ruby script

export RUBYLIB=$HOME/MyLib/

--
Mohammad Khan | Software Engineer
Lextranet | 107 Union Wharf | Boston, MA 02109

Smart Tools. Smart Team. Smart Choice.

THE INFORMATION IN THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE PERSONAL AND
CONFIDENTIAL USE OF THE DESIGNATED RECIPIENTS NAMED ABOVE AND MAY
CONTAIN LEGALLY PRIVILEGED INFORMATION. If the reader of this message
is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering
it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have
received this document in error, and that any review, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this communication in error, please notify us
immediately by telephone at 617-227-4469 Ext. 200. Thank you.

6 Answers

bringyagrogalong

"Peter Webb" <webbfamily@DIE_SPAMoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
> "bringyagrogalong"  wrote in message
> "dechucka" <dechuc...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The Liberal outrage is amazing to say the least. This was a bloke
> > preselected by the Liberal on many? occasions and Parliamentary
> > Secretary, Whip and Committee Chairman in the Howard government.
>
> Not only that, but Slipper was elected as Speaker unopposed.
>
> That's right "unopposed".
>
> Yet the lying filth reckon it was solely Labor's vote that put him
> there.
>
> Technically it wasn't the Labor Party's vote, as no vote was taken. But he
> was there solely because of Labor.

No he wasn't.

The Coalition didn't run against him.

Slipper was elected unopposed.

Those are the facts!

> No Coalition member voted for him to be Speaker, or supported
> his election in any manner.

But by not putting up one of their own to run against him they
effectively supported Slipper's election.

Allow me to repeat, Slipper was elected unopposed.

> He was nominated by the Labor Party and enjoyed their support,
> and got the job solely due to that support.

Not true!

He got the job due to the support of the government *and* the
Coalition.

The Coalition didn't nominate one of their own to stand against him so
Slipper was elected unopposed.

> And of course they only did this to try and shore up their numbers;

Well that was certainly the reason the Coalition didn't nominate for
the position of Speaker.

As you correctly say, they would have lost a vote.

Expediency before morality.

> it was a grubby move which has exploded in their face.

It was a grubby move by the Coalition not to nominate for Speaker in
order to keep their numbers, but we're used to Abbott and his grubby
deals....

ergo: "I will do anything, Tony, to get this job. The only thing I
won't do is sell my arse'' .

> They would have been far better off just appointing Anna Burke to the role,
> and not so publically showing their poor judgement.

Not poor judgement at all, even Abbott conceded that it was a
brilliant tactical move.

A move he and the Coalition was forced to support.

---------------

"Labor frontbencher Jenny Macklin denied the Prime Minister had
supported Mr Slipper’s remarks by refusing to vote against him in the
no confidence motion.

“The Prime Minister did not vote for those remarks…what she voted
against was Tony Abbott’s latest attempt to wreck the Parliament.”

Peter Webb

"Peter Webb" <webbfamily@DIE_SPAMoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
> "bringyagrogalong" wrote in message
> "dechucka" <dechuc...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The Liberal outrage is amazing to say the least. This was a bloke
> > preselected by the Liberal on many? occasions and Parliamentary
> > Secretary, Whip and Committee Chairman in the Howard government.
>
> Not only that, but Slipper was elected as Speaker unopposed.
>
> That's right "unopposed".
>
> Yet the lying filth reckon it was solely Labor's vote that put him
> there.
>
> Technically it wasn't the Labor Party's vote, as no vote was taken. But he
> was there solely because of Labor.

No he wasn't.

The Coalition didn't run against him.

Slipper was elected unopposed.

Those are the facts!

> No Coalition member voted for him to be Speaker, or supported
> his election in any manner.

But by not putting up one of their own to run against him they
effectively supported Slipper's election.

No they didn't. They didn't vote for him. He clearly got the job because of
Labor's support alone; had you bothered to read the newspapers or followed
the news in any way you would know that the Liberals didn't support him
getting the job, in fact they complained long and hard about him getting it.
Labor precipitated this by offering Slipper the job; Abbott was so incensed
he expelled Slipper from the Liberal Party. The Liberals then nominated nine
other members of the House in preference to Slipper; none would accept the
nomination. Since then, Abbott has frequently been critical of having
Slipper as the speaker. You suggesting that he got the job with the support
of the Liberal Party makes about as much sense as you claiming that the
Apollo 11 moon landing was a hoax; ie none at all. You are simply an idiot.

bringyagrogalong

"Peter Webb" <webbfamily@DIE_SPAMoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
> "bringyagrogalong"  wrote in message
> "Peter Webb" <webbfamily@DIE_SPAMoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
> > "bringyagrogalong"  wrote in message
> > "dechucka" <dechuc...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > The Liberal outrage is amazing to say the least. This was a bloke
> > > preselected by the Liberal on many? occasions and Parliamentary
> > > Secretary, Whip and Committee Chairman in the Howard government.
>
> > Not only that, but Slipper was elected as Speaker unopposed.
>
> > That's right "unopposed".
>
> > Yet the lying filth reckon it was solely Labor's vote that put him
> > there.
>
> > Technically it wasn't the Labor Party's vote, as no vote was taken. But he
> > was there solely because of Labor.
>
> No he wasn't there "solely because of Labor".
>
> The Coalition didn't run against him.
>
> Slipper was elected unopposed.
>
> Those are the facts!

No denial noted!

And no denial possible in view if the facts.

> > No Coalition member voted for him to be Speaker, or supported
> > his election in any manner.
>
> But by not putting up one of their own to run against him they
> effectively supported Slipper's election.
>
> No they didn't.

Yes they did.

They didn't nominate one of their own to stand against him.

You seem to be having difficulty in grasping that fact.

> They didn't vote for him. He clearly got the job because of
> Labor's support alone.

Actually nobody voted for him.

It didn't get to a vote because the Coalition refused to stand against
him because it would have cost them a vote.

Slipper was elected unopposed.

So much for their sense of morality.

> had you bothered to read the newspapers or followed the news in
> any way you would know that the Liberals didn't support him
> getting the job, in fact they complained long and hard about him
> getting it.

So why didn't they nominate one of their number to oppose him.

Oh that's right they didn't want to lose a vote.

> Labor precipitated this by offering Slipper the job; Abbott was so incensed
> he expelled Slipper from the Liberal Party. The Liberals then nominated nine
> other members of the House in preference to Slipper; none would accept the
> nomination.

It just required him to nominate a Coalition member and the nomination
would have been accepted.

Labor would have been more than happy to have had a Coalition Speaker
but Abbott refused.

> Since then, Abbott has frequently been critical of having Slipper
> as the Speaker.

But that criticism doesn't preclude Abbott from chasing Slipper's vote
now that he's resigned from being Speaker.

And even more grubby, the Coalition sent emails to Thomson chasing his
vote.

As I said grubby, but not unexpected, as Abbott told Windsor that
there was nothing he wouldn't do to become PM.

> You suggesting that he got the job with the support of the Liberal Party.

No doubt about it.

The Coalition didn't run against him.

Slipper was elected unopposed.

Those are the facts!

<snip attempt at a distraction>

-------------

"After his performance last week, supporters of president Obama,
watching Gillard cut through the disingenuousness and feigned moral
outrage of her opponent to call him out for his own personal
prejudice, hypocrisy, and aversion to facts, might be wishing their
man would take a lesson from Australia".
- Amelia Lester, writing in The New Yorker

Farm1

"Peter Webb" <webbfamily@DIE_SPAMoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message

> No they didn't. They didn't vote for him. He clearly got the job because
> of Labor's support alone; had you bothered to read the newspapers or
> followed the news in any way you would know that the Liberals didn't
> support him getting the job, in fact they complained long and hard about
> him getting it. Labor precipitated this by offering Slipper the job;
> Abbott was so incensed he expelled Slipper from the Liberal Party.

Actually Slipper resigned from the Liberal Partry on the day he took up the
job as Speaker.

bringyagrogalong

"Farm1" <H...@there.sometimes> wrote:
> "Peter Webb" <webbfamily@DIE_SPAMoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> >
> > No they didn't. They didn't vote for him. He clearly got the job because
> > of Labor's support alone; had you bothered to read the newspapers or
> > followed the news in any way you would know that the Liberals didn't
> > support him getting the job, in fact they complained long and hard about
> > him getting it. Labor precipitated this by offering Slipper the job;
> > Abbott was so incensed he expelled Slipper from the Liberal Party.
>
> Actually Slipper resigned from the Liberal Partry on the day he took up the
> job as Speaker.

Yep! Webb got that wrong.

No surprises there, he rarely gets anything right

Peter Webb

> had you bothered to read the newspapers or followed the news in
> any way you would know that the Liberals didn't support him
> getting the job, in fact they complained long and hard about him
> getting it.

So why didn't they nominate one of their number to oppose him.

Because in the Westminster system it is the government's job to supply a
Speaker from their party, or occasionally the cross-benches. The Parliament
literally cannot function without a Speaker, so after trying to nominate 9
government members to do the job normally done by a government member Abbott
did the honourable thing - he did not oppose Slipper, allowing the business
of Parliament to continue without showing any support whatsoever. He has
handled himself very appropriately through this whole thing, which has
helped highlight the grubby opportunism and poor political judgement of
Gillard. Didn't she stop to think that somebody who was on the verge of
expulsion from the Liberal Party perhaps wasn't of appropriate character to
be Speaker? And why - to provide insurance against Craig Thomson going to
jail? And now its all useless? Very poor judgement on her part indeed.