IRB Console in RDT/Eclipse

voipfc

10/1/2006 7:23:00 AM

Is there a way to open an irb console in Eclipse?

I am sure there is but I can't seem to find it on the menu.

Frank

8 Answers

voipfc

voipfc@googlemail.com wrote:
> Is there a way to open an irb console in Eclipse?
>
> I am sure there is but I can't seem to find it on the menu.
>
> Frank

Bump?

Jean Helou

One way to do it is :
run->external tools->create a configuration with ruby as exe and irb
as argument ...

works without rdt too

jean

On 10/4/06, voipfc <voipfc@googlemail.com> wrote:

> voipfc@googlemail.com wrote:
> > Is there a way to open an irb console in Eclipse?
> >
> > I am sure there is but I can't seem to find it on the menu.
> >
> > Frank
>
> Bump?

voipfc

On 10/5/06, Jean Helou <jean.helou@gmail.com> wrote:
> One way to do it is :
> run->external tools->create a configuration with ruby as exe and irb
> as argument ...
>
> works without rdt too

When I start the Run -> External Tools wizard I see 3 options

%Program.externalTools
Ant Build
Programs

It looks like Ant Build is out, which of the other 2 do I pick?

> jean
>
> On 10/4/06, voipfc <voipfc@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > voipfc@googlemail.com wrote:
> > > Is there a way to open an irb console in Eclipse?
> > >
> > > I am sure there is but I can't seem to find it on the menu.
> > >
> > > Frank
> >
> > Bump?

Jean Helou

I use eclipse 3.2 I have (from the menu bar)
Run->External Tools->External Tools...

I then choose program right click new this creates a new configuration
for running external programs
in location I set the path to my ruby interpreter
in args I put irb

when I run this I get an irb running in the eclipse console (though I
don't seem to have the prompt, typing works just fine).

jean

On 10/5/06, Frank Church <voipfc@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 10/5/06, Jean Helou <jean.helou@gmail.com> wrote:
> > One way to do it is :
> > run->external tools->create a configuration with ruby as exe and irb
> > as argument ...
> >
> > works without rdt too
> >

> When I start the Run -> External Tools wizard I see 3 options
>
> %Program.externalTools
> Ant Build
> Programs
>
> It looks like Ant Build is out, which of the other 2 do I pick?
>

> > jean

> > > Bump?

voipfc

Thanks - I managed to get it running.

Is there a way to set it run from the toolbar rather than through the menus

On 10/5/06, Jean Helou <jean.helou@gmail.com> wrote:
> I use eclipse 3.2 I have (from the menu bar)
> Run->External Tools->External Tools...
>
> I then choose program right click new this creates a new configuration
> for running external programs
> in location I set the path to my ruby interpreter
> in args I put irb
>
> when I run this I get an irb running in the eclipse console (though I
> don't seem to have the prompt, typing works just fine).
>
> jean
>
> On 10/5/06, Frank Church <voipfc@googlemail.com> wrote:
> > On 10/5/06, Jean Helou <jean.helou@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > One way to do it is :
> > > run->external tools->create a configuration with ruby as exe and irb
> > > as argument ...
> > >
> > > works without rdt too
> > >

> > When I start the Run -> External Tools wizard I see 3 options
> >
> > %Program.externalTools
> > Ant Build
> > Programs
> >
> > It looks like Ant Build is out, which of the other 2 do I pick?
> >

> > > jean

Jean Helou

It should be the same, once it has run successfully once, it should
appear in the toolbar under the run external button. (the run with a
red toolbox) you should be able to select the run config by clicking
on the little black arrow on the left of that icon.

cheers
jean

On 10/5/06, Frank Church <voipfc@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Thanks - I managed to get it running.
>
> Is there a way to set it run from the toolbar rather than through the menus
>
> On 10/5/06, Jean Helou <jean.helou@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I use eclipse 3.2 I have (from the menu bar)
> > Run->External Tools->External Tools...
> >
> > I then choose program right click new this creates a new configuration
> > for running external programs
> > in location I set the path to my ruby interpreter
> > in args I put irb
> >
> > when I run this I get an irb running in the eclipse console (though I
> > don't seem to have the prompt, typing works just fine).
> >
> > jean

> > > When I start the Run -> External Tools wizard I see 3 options
> > >
> > > %Program.externalTools
> > > Ant Build
> > > Programs
> > >
> > > It looks like Ant Build is out, which of the other 2 do I pick?

Parv G.

Jean Helou wrote:
> I use eclipse 3.2 I have (from the menu bar)
> Run->External Tools->External Tools...
>
> I then choose program right click new this creates a new configuration
> for running external programs
> in location I set the path to my ruby interpreter
> in args I put irb
>
> when I run this I get an irb running in the eclipse console (though I
> don't seem to have the prompt, typing works just fine).
>
> jean

i get an error message saying "No Such File to Load", after i followed
your instructions. i'm using eclipse 3.2 with rdt plugin.

Parv G.

Parv G. wrote:

> i get an error message saying "No Such File to Load", after i followed
> your instructions. i'm using eclipse 3.2 with rdt plugin.

actually the error message is:
C:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe: No such file or directory -- irb (LoadError)

Thanks,
Parv