Use Perl modules from Ruby ?

Markus Brosch

9/29/2006 11:59:00 AM

Hi Ruby-Community :)

I was looking for a way to talk to a Perl module from Ruby directly to
use its classes, methods or functions. However, it seems there is no
up2date/maintained Ruby/Perl binding ? I have found the "Perl module for
Ruby" (http://www.yoshidam.net/p...), but his website states it
is no longer maintained and also it seems not like an offical thing
available in Rubyforge.

I am aware of %x{ ... } to run scripts and stuff, but what I really want
is to use some legacy Perl modules which are too big to convert
completely into Ruby.

Any ideas, suggestions and tips ? My search so far was pretty boring.
Seems like not many people would like to do this ?

Thank you and best regards!

PS: Sorry if I am just stupid and not aware of a obvious thing available
in Ruby. I am new to the language and might not have seen "THE WAY" to
go ;)

Dr Nic

+1 interested in the solution too

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Markus Brosch wrote:
> Hi Ruby-Community :)
>
> I was looking for a way to talk to a Perl module from Ruby directly to
> use its classes, methods or functions. However, it seems there is no
> up2date/maintained Ruby/Perl binding ? I have found the "Perl module for
> Ruby" (http://www.yoshidam.net/p...), but his website states it
> is no longer maintained and also it seems not like an offical thing
> available in Rubyforge.
>
> I am aware of %x{ ... } to run scripts and stuff, but what I really want
> is to use some legacy Perl modules which are too big to convert
> completely into Ruby.
>
> Any ideas, suggestions and tips ? My search so far was pretty boring.
> Seems like not many people would like to do this ?
>
> Thank you and best regards!
>
> PS: Sorry if I am just stupid and not aware of a obvious thing available
> in Ruby. I am new to the language and might not have seen "THE WAY" to
> go ;)

Hmmm ... is enough of Cardinal (Ruby interface to Parrot), Parrot and
the Perl interface to Parrot working that this could be done that way?
That was one of the goals of Parrot -- a virtual machine that would
support at least Perl, Python and Ruby and maybe other dynamic languages.

Alex LeDonne

On 9/29/06, Markus Brosch <mb.spam@gmx.net> wrote:
> I am aware of %x{ ... } to run scripts and stuff, but what I really want
> is to use some legacy Perl modules which are too big to convert
> completely into Ruby.

I have a hard time imagining a Perl module too big to convert
completely into Ruby. What does the module do? Is it proprietary, or
is it on CPAN somewhere?

-A

Leslie Viljoen

On 9/29/06, Alex LeDonne <aledonne.listmail@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/29/06, Markus Brosch <mb.spam@gmx.net> wrote:
> > I am aware of %x{ ... } to run scripts and stuff, but what I really want
> > is to use some legacy Perl modules which are too big to convert
> > completely into Ruby.
>
> I have a hard time imagining a Perl module too big to convert
> completely into Ruby. What does the module do? Is it proprietary, or
> is it on CPAN somewhere?

Yes, what is it? Maybe someone would want to convert it.

James Gray

On Sep 29, 2006, at 9:08 AM, Alex LeDonne wrote:

> On 9/29/06, Markus Brosch <mb.spam@gmx.net> wrote:
>> I am aware of %x{ ... } to run scripts and stuff, but what I
>> really want
>> is to use some legacy Perl modules which are too big to convert
>> completely into Ruby.
>
> I have a hard time imagining a Perl module too big to convert
> completely into Ruby. What does the module do? Is it proprietary, or
> is it on CPAN somewhere?

If it's an OO Perl module, odds are good the Ruby will be smaller.

James Edward Gray II

Dr Nic

> If it's an OO Perl module, odds are good the Ruby will be smaller.
>
> James Edward Gray II

In my situation, we have a generated perl library and a perl wrapper for
a compiled library.

1. Yes I can generate a Ruby library
2. Yes I can probably write my own Ruby wrapper for the compiled library

I am hoping the elusive ruby -> perl hooks mean I don't have to.

#2 scares me.

Nic

jmg3000

On 9/29/06, Leslie Viljoen <leslieviljoen@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/29/06, Alex LeDonne <aledonne.listmail@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 9/29/06, Markus Brosch <mb.spam@gmx.net> wrote:
> > > [snip], but what I really want
> > > is to use some legacy Perl modules which are too big to convert
> > > completely into Ruby.
> >
> > I have a hard time imagining a Perl module too big to convert
> > completely into Ruby. What does the module do? Is it proprietary, or
> > is it on CPAN somewhere?
>

> Yes, what is it? Maybe someone would want to convert it.

It might be useful to have some sort of Ruby "porting party" website.
A central location where folks interested in a given library can all
get together and set up a date/time where they could get together
online and churn it out. Maybe have a "top 10 most-wanted libs" list,
sign-up sheet, wish-list, calendar, "Done" list...

---John

Tomasz Wegrzanowski

On 9/29/06, John Gabriele <jmg3000@gmail.com> wrote:
> It might be useful to have some sort of Ruby "porting party" website.
> A central location where folks interested in a given library can all
> get together and set up a date/time where they could get together
> online and churn it out. Maybe have a "top 10 most-wanted libs" list,
> sign-up sheet, wish-list, calendar, "Done" list...

top 1 most-wanted libs:
* LWP

It would be a severe understatement to say LWP is the best
www library in any language ever made. Nothing I've ever seen
gets even close. And it's pretty unlikely Ruby can get a
comparable library any time soon in any way other than
recoding the real thing.

Anther really cool perl lib is IO::Multiplex.

--
Tomasz Wegrzanowski [ http://t-a-w.blo... ]

snacktime

Date::Manip

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

snacktime wrote:

>> I have a hard time imagining a Perl module too big to convert
>> completely into Ruby. What does the module do? Is it proprietary, or
>> is it on CPAN somewhere?
>
> Date::Manip

Is there something Date::Manip can do that the built-in date calculators
in Rails can't do?