Re: Encrypt ruby source code

Torben Wölm

9/27/2006 10:55:00 AM

Hasn't this been discussed somewhere else?

The issue is exactly the same for web applications written in ASP or PHP. How have people protected those millions(?) of web applications in the past years? Do we really need that protection?

Or maybe I don't understand the issue, because every application I ever did is so mediocre that I never thought of protecting my valuable assets...

Kind regards,
torben

1 Answer

Sammy Larbi

Torben Wölm wrote:
> Hasn't this been discussed somewhere else?
>
> The issue is exactly the same for web applications written in ASP or PHP. How have people protected those millions(?) of web applications in the past years? Do we really need that protection?

Generally, you don't distribute a web application to a desktop. So,
unless someone breaks into your server, or your server sends the
application source to the browser because it is set up improperly (well,
I suppose you could have done it on purpose, in which case it would be
proper), people can't get at your source.

As I see it, the issue is exactly the opposite for web applications.