Fresh Fish!!

Asif Syed

9/25/2006 9:31:00 PM

Hey guys, yet another ruby-nuby here. And I am totally floored, but
don't really know which book to start with. I am nearly a programming
newbie too. I've heard of two books - 1) Ruby in a Nutshell by
Matsumoto, himself. 2) Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmers'
Guide by Dave Thomas.

Now which book do you guys suggest? Any one of the above or any other
book? I hope to get some great feedback. I also hope to join in the
conversation very soon, at least once I get hold of the book.

Stephan Kämper

Asif Syed wrote:
> Hey guys, yet another ruby-nuby here. And I am totally floored, but
> don't really know which book to start with. I am nearly a programming
> newbie too. I've heard of two books - 1) Ruby in a Nutshell by
> Matsumoto, himself. 2) Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmers'
> Guide by Dave Thomas.
>
> Now which book do you guys suggest? Any one of the above or any other
> book? I hope to get some great feedback. I also hope to join in the
> conversation very soon, at least once I get hold of the book.

How about "Learn to Program" by Chris Pine?

Happy rubying and welcome!

Stephan

Dark Ambient

On 9/25/06, Stephan Kämper <sigma.kappa@stephankaemper.de> wrote:
> Asif Syed wrote:
> > Hey guys, yet another ruby-nuby here. And I am totally floored, but
> > don't really know which book to start with. I am nearly a programming
> > newbie too. I've heard of two books - 1) Ruby in a Nutshell by
> > Matsumoto, himself. 2) Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmers'
> > Guide by Dave Thomas.
> >
> > Now which book do you guys suggest? Any one of the above or any other
> > book? I hope to get some great feedback. I also hope to join in the
> > conversation very soon, at least once I get hold of the book.
> >

> How about "Learn to Program" by Chris Pine?
>
> Happy rubying and welcome!
>
> Stephan

I'd recommend "Between Nothingness and Eternity" Jean Paul Satre!

Stuart

Rcmn Rcmn

Asif Syed wrote:
> Hey guys, yet another ruby-nuby here. And I am totally floored, but
> don't really know which book to start with. I am nearly a programming
> newbie too. I've heard of two books - 1) Ruby in a Nutshell by
> Matsumoto, himself. 2) Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmers'
> Guide by Dave Thomas.
>
> Now which book do you guys suggest? Any one of the above or any other
> book? I hope to get some great feedback. I also hope to join in the
> conversation very soon, at least once I get hold of the book.

I would try online tutorial before investing on any books.Once you're
confortable and you actually have to do something just go to a bookstore
with a list of ruby books and pick the one that answered the most of
your questions.

Asif Syed

Stephan Kämper wrote:
> How about "Learn to Program" by Chris Pine?

Actually I am learning quite a bit about Ruby from the original Chris
Pine tutorial on his website. It is definitely a good starting point but
I need things to be a bit complex :D.

Huw Collingbourne

You might want to try my 'Little Book Of Ruby' - 10 chapters, it's free and
it comes with all the source code ready to run.

http://www.sapphir.../The-Little-Bo...

best wishes
Huw Collingbourne

http://www.sapphir...
Ruby Programming In Visual Studio 2005

Rich Morin

Actually, I wouldn't suggest either one as a tutorial.
"Programming Ruby" is a fine reference, but is a bit
terse as an introduction. "Ruby in a Nutshell" is a
bit dated, but it is handy as a pocket reference.

I would recommend David Black's "Ruby for Rails". In
fact, I'd love to see him extract a beginning Ruby book
from it, for folks who aren't planning to do Rails...

-r
--
http://www.cf... Rich Morin
http://www.cf.../resume rdm@cfcl.com

Dark Ambient

There is another book that just came out and it's available on Lulu ?
It's from Jeremy ..errr..forget the last name. It's called Mr
Neighborlys humble little Ruby Book. I thought it contained a good
amount of Ruby material and is easy to read and approachable. You can
check out a chapter for a sample I believe at
www.rubyonrailsbook.com

Stuart

--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Da...

Tim Hunter

Asif Syed wrote:
> Hey guys, yet another ruby-nuby here. And I am totally floored, but
> don't really know which book to start with. I am nearly a programming
> newbie too. I've heard of two books - 1) Ruby in a Nutshell by
> Matsumoto, himself. 2) Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmers'
> Guide by Dave Thomas.
>
> Now which book do you guys suggest? Any one of the above or any other
> book? I hope to get some great feedback. I also hope to join in the
> conversation very soon, at least once I get hold of the book.

Welcome to Ruby!
No nuby recommendation list can be without why's poignant guide to Ruby.
Read it and be illuminated.

http://poignantguide...

James Britt

Timothy Hunter wrote:
> Asif Syed wrote:
>
>> Hey guys, yet another ruby-nuby here. And I am totally floored, but
>> don't really know which book to start with. I am nearly a programming
>> newbie too. I've heard of two books - 1) Ruby in a Nutshell by
>> Matsumoto, himself. 2) Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmers'
>> Guide by Dave Thomas.
>>
>> Now which book do you guys suggest? Any one of the above or any other
>> book? I hope to get some great feedback. I also hope to join in the
>> conversation very soon, at least once I get hold of the book.

David A. Black's, Ruby for Rails.

Doesn't matter if you use, know, or care about Rails. You can think of
Rails as the 'sample app' every book needs.

--
James Britt

"Hackers will be expelled"
- The Breakfast Club (1985)