global error handling in rails

Michael P. Soulier

9/25/2006 12:56:00 AM

Hey people,

I'm having a problem implementing global error handling in Rails.

I using the Rails bible*, and on page 464 it has some code for implementing
email notification of such errors via the rescue_action_in_public method
globally in application.rb. I've implemented it, but I'm seeing this in my
logs

NameError (uninitialized constant ActionWebService::Dispatcher::ActionController
::UnknownAction):
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.3.1/lib/active_support/dep
endencies.rb:100:in `const_missing'
/app/controllers/application.rb:14:in `rescue_action_in_public'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.12.5/lib/action_controller/re
scue.rb:33:in `rescue_action'

And I'm getting "Application error (Rails)" in the browser.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike

*Agile Web Development with Rails