ruby and mysql

d c

9/23/2006 1:43:00 PM

hello!

can someone explain to me the basic usage for the native mysql
bindings for ruby?

I'm on OSX and have installed the pure ruby drivers (mysql-2.7) using gem

however, i'm getting the following error on trying a simple connection.

Mysql::Error: Client does not support authentication protocol
requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client

so, it looks like the pure ruby drivers are pretty old. maybe the
native ones are newer?

is there any difference in usage?

also, i guess there are generic DBI drivers - is this a more recommended route?
http://ruby-dbi.ruby...

since i also want to do some rails stuff, does rails assume mysql is
working, and/or need the naive libs for that working?

~/src/ruby-mysql-0.2.6 > sudo ruby ./test.rb localhost XXX XXXPW
connect............../mysql.rb:453:in `read': Client does not support
authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL
client (Mysql::Error)
from ./mysql.rb:130:in `real_connect'
from ./mysql.rb:91:in `initialize'
from ./mysql.rb:1085:in `new'
from ./mysql.rb:1085:in `connect'
from ./t/00connect.rb:1
from ./test.rb:23:in `load'
from ./test.rb:23
from ./test.rb:19:in `each'
from ./test.rb:19

thanks for any help!

/dc
David "DC" Collier
mailto:dc@pikkle.com
+81 (0)80 6521 9559
skype: callto://d3ntaku
Pikkle ????
http://www....

Robert Klemme

dc wrote:
> hello!
>
> can someone explain to me the basic usage for the native mysql
> bindings for ruby?
>
> I'm on OSX and have installed the pure ruby drivers (mysql-2.7) using gem
>
> however, i'm getting the following error on trying a simple connection.
>
> Mysql::Error: Client does not support authentication protocol
> requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client
>
> so, it looks like the pure ruby drivers are pretty old. maybe the
> native ones are newer?

You can probably change security settings on the database as well.

robert

David Vallner

d c

OK got things to work. after lots of google hiccups, this article
solved things regarding recompiling latest ruby/mysql drivers.

i think the main issue is that if you have the gem libs installed,
they somehow get used first, instead of the native drivers?

http://tonyarnold.com/articles/2005/08/11/mysql-bindings-for-ruby-under-mac-...

for what its worth, cocoaMysql beta version is also needed to connect...

this was unfortunately a lot more painful than setting up on windows...

/dc

On 23/09/06, David Vallner <david@vallner.net> wrote:

David "DC" Collier
mailto:dc@pikkle.com