Wow! Jamis Buck + blog + GDB + C API == mind blowing coolness

pat eyler

9/22/2006 10:48:00 PM

For those of you who don't follow Jamis Buck's blog (and why
don't you?) you should run, not walk, over to
http://weblog.jamisbuck.org/2006/9/22/inspecting-a-live-ru...
to get instructions on using GDB and the Ruby C API to get a
stack trace out of a running process. I'm guessing that there
may be more magic hiding in this corner, but Jamis has done a
great job of shining a light into it to get us started.

--
thanks,
-pate

3 Answers

Stephen Kellett

In message
<6fd0654b0609221547x60874366ld181ee5f99b0c495@mail.gmail.com>, pat eyler
<pat.eyler@gmail.com> writes
>For those of you who don't follow Jamis Buck's blog (and why
>don't you?) you should run, not walk, over to
>http://weblog.jamisbuck.org/2006/9/22/inspecting-a-live-ru...
>to get instructions on using GDB and the Ruby C API to get a
>stack trace out of a running process. I'm guessing that there
>may be more magic hiding in this corner, but Jamis has done a
>great job of shining a light into it to get us started.

The most amazing thing for me (that I get from this thread) is that
people are amazed that gdb is so good when that was obvious in 1990. Its
even better if you run it inside emacs as you can view your source in
one window and gdb in the other (which you could also do in 1990).

Stephen
--
Stephen Kellett
Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk/sof...

ts

S> even better if you run it inside emacs as you can view your source in
S> one window and gdb in the other (which you could also do in 1990).

You don't need emacs, just hit ^X-2 (Control-X 2) and you'll have 2 windows
* one with the source
* the other with the assembler

:-)

Guy Decoux

pat eyler

On 9/22/06, Stephen Kellett <snail@objmedia.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In message
> The most amazing thing for me (that I get from this thread) is that
> people are amazed that gdb is so good when that was obvious in 1990. Its
> even better if you run it inside emacs as you can view your source in
> one window and gdb in the other (which you could also do in 1990).

The part that excites me is the idea of using GDB with the Ruby C
API to help debug Ruby scripts.

Yes, GDB and emacs have been a cool combination for a long time,
I'm just happy to see another way of using them.

--
thanks,
-pate