Re: ruby spot it ....

marinho.tobolla@syncity.de

9/21/2006 10:32:00 AM

I guess, that right now, the motivation would be the same like answering such questions here. But maybe i can find some others ... ;) But the main idea is, that other beginners correct them and learn from the errors.

"Tim Becker" <a2800276@gmail.com> schrieb am 21.09.2006 11:52:

> - where professionals and other noobs can answer them and maybe discuss them

What sort of motivation would a "professional" have to go to a
beginner's site to go about correcting beginner's errors without the
expected win of maybe being able to discuss his or her own problems?
-tim

3 Answers

Paul Lutus

marinho.tobolla@syncity.de wrote:

> I guess, that right now, the motivation would be the same like answering
> such questions here. But maybe i can find some others ... ;) But the main
> idea is, that other beginners correct them and learn from the errors.

Basically a good idea, but there are lots of beginner threads here, and just
as many helpful answers. It might not be such a good idea to have beginners
answer beginners' questions, for a reason that should be obvious.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.ara...

Tim Becker

> Basically a good idea, but there are lots of beginner threads here, and just
> as many helpful answers. It might not be such a good idea to have beginners
> answer beginners' questions, for a reason that should be obvious.

I believe it's a "tragedy of the commons" type problem. The
"professionals" hang out here for the interesting stuff and answer
beginner questions occasionally. There's really no motivation for the
"professional" to browse a pure beginner's forum and while the
beginners can answer each other's questions, soon you'll have
beginners who want answers from "professionals", crossposting will
follow, beginners will be rudely shown the door and sent back to the
beginner's forum. Everyone will start yelling at each other and
pandemonium will ensue.

I wouldn't risk it.

-tim

James Gray

On Sep 22, 2006, at 1:35 AM, Tim Becker wrote:

> There's really no motivation for the
> "professional" to browse a pure beginner's forum and while the
> beginners can answer each other's questions

Pat Eyler and I were discussing this yesterday.

I was on the Perl Beginner's mailing list for years and I can tell
you multiple smart people were regulars there. I can't tell you why
they were all there, but my reason was that it felt good to help
people just like others did for me when I was learning. I'm pretty
sure some liked helping there because they could teach good Perl
habits to the newcomers.

Your theory is sound, but the professionals might just surprise you.

James Edward Gray II