Using Memcache client

hemant

9/20/2006 11:18:00 AM

Some some simple/[stupid|smart] questions about memcache.

I am using the wrapper written by Eric Hodel.

1. Is it thread safe? By that I mean..lets say, I have one thread
that writes to it and the other reads from it. How will it behave
then. Please note that, only one thread will be used to write to
it..rest all will just read. I see..mutex.synchronize in the code..so
should be theoretically thread safe.

2. I start a program, connect to the server using MemCache.new on a
new namespace and do some data manipulation. Then i don't need to
close the connection, right? Do i need to delete the keys that i put?
or they will expire.

Here...I am using it outside rails domain.

--
There was only one Road; that it was like a great river: its springs
were at every doorstep, and every path was its tributary.

1 Answer

Eric Hodel

On Sep 20, 2006, at 4:18 AM, hemant wrote:

> Some some simple/[stupid|smart] questions about memcache.
>
> I am using the wrapper written by Eric Hodel.
>
> 1. Is it thread safe? By that I mean..lets say, I have one thread
> that writes to it and the other reads from it. How will it behave
> then. Please note that, only one thread will be used to write to
> it..rest all will just read. I see..mutex.synchronize in the code..so
> should be theoretically thread safe.

Some of the documentation lies, but, see: ri MemCache.new

> 2. I start a program, connect to the server using MemCache.new on a
> new namespace and do some data manipulation. Then i don't need to
> close the connection, right? Do i need to delete the keys that i put?
> or they will expire.

Don't worry about it, memcached will take care of the stored data for
you. Ruby's GC will take care of closing connections for you.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://blog.se...

http://trackmap.rob...