[ANN] Hoe 1.0 released

Ryan Davis

9/20/2006 10:36:00 AM

Farmer Ted came to me the other day with a problem. He has about 10
different packages he wants to work on and periodically release, but
sometimes it seems to him that maintaining a threshing machine is
easier than it is maintaining all his Rakefiles and gemspecs. Most of
his rakefiles are duplicated in every project yet differ slightly
everywhere. His deployment rules that enhanced in one place and go
stale in another. So I showed him another tool to help: Hoe!

Hoe is a tool that covers all the usual stuff you have in a project:
documentation, testing, version compatibility (through multiruby),
packaging, deployment, cleanup, and more. In fact, this:

<pre>require 'rubygems'
require 'hoe'

Hoe.new("thingy", '1.0.0') do |p|
p.rubyforge_name = "myproject"
p.summary = "I'm so happy that I don't have to write this stuff
anymore."
end

gets you all of this for free:

% rake -T
rake audit # Run ZenTest against the package
rake clean # Clean up all the extras
rake clobber_docs # Remove rdoc products
rake clobber_package # Remove package products
rake default # Run the default tasks
rake deploy # Deploy the package to rubyforge.
rake docs # Build the docs HTML Files
rake install # Install the package. Uses PREFIX and RUBYLIB
rake multi # Run the test suite using multiruby
rake package # Build all the packages
rake redocs # Force a rebuild of the RDOC files
rake repackage # Force a rebuild of the package files
rake test # Run the test suite. Use FILTER to add to the
command line.
rake uninstall # Uninstall the package.
rake upload # Upload RDoc to RubyForge

Farmer Ted tried it out and he's much <em>much</em> happier now.

Hoe is real young right now. Rough around the edges. Undocumented.
Etc. You've been warned. That said, please try it out and let me know
what you think.

sudo gem install hoe

20 Answers

Leslie Viljoen

Zenspider keeps coming up with great stuff!

zimba.tm@gmail.com

Cool. You could also add the todo task :

desc "Look for TODO and FIXME tags in the code"
task :todo do
FileList['**/*.rb'].exclude('pkg').egrep /#.*(FIXME|TODO|TBD|DEPRECATED)/

Cheers,
zimbatm

http://zimba...

khaines

Berger, Daniel

Apparently, you Reap what you Hoe.

I'M SORRY I COULDN'T HELP IT!!!!

- Dan

prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication

Ara.T.Howard

Ryan Davis

On Sep 20, 2006, at 7:15 AM, khaines@enigo.com wrote:

> How does the use case for Hoe differ from REAP?
> http://reap.ruby...

Farmer Ted likes simplicity and clarity, not obfuscation and bulk:

% find hoe -type f | grep -v svn | xargs wc -l | tail -1
345 total

% find reap-6.0.2 -type f | xargs wc -l | tail -1
16301 total
% find facets-1.7.46 -type f | xargs wc -l | tail -1
67091 total

> Since REAP tasks can be used as rake tasks, there seems to me to be
> a lot of overlap between the two projects. Yes? No?

no, there is very little overlap, because my project is so small.

Ryan Davis

On Sep 20, 2006, at 6:20 AM, Jonas Pfenniger wrote:

> Cool. You could also add the todo task :
>

> desc "Look for TODO and FIXME tags in the code"
> task :todo do
> FileList['**/*.rb'].exclude('pkg').egrep /#.*(FIXME|TODO|TBD|
> DEPRECATED)/
> end

Actually, I have a script called progress for stuff like this. See
how perfect hoe must be??? :P

Number of files checked : 6
Number of files marked : 0 (0.00%)
Number of tags found : 0

Occurances:

Detail:

Number of files checked : 6
Number of files marked : 0 (0.00%)
Number of tags found : 0

Occurances:

Ara.T.Howard

khaines

Gregory Brown

On 9/20/06, Ryan Davis <ryand-ruby@zenspider.com> wrote:

> Hoe is a tool that covers all the usual stuff you have in a project:
> documentation, testing, version compatibility (through multiruby),
> packaging, deployment, cleanup, and more. In fact, this:

Ryan, this sounds very cool. Daniel Berger and I wrote a tool for
interfacing with RAA a while ago and I haven't gotten around to
releasing it. Maybe I can donate this to Hoe so it can do RAA entry
updates too?

Here is example usage:
http://stonecode.svnrepository.com/www-raa/trac.cgi/browser/example/...

And here is the tiny lib: