Why would a DRb process shut down?

Ben Johnson

9/19/2006 8:04:00 PM

I have a program that runs about 10 DRb processes. Ocassionally one of
the processes will shut down and I will get the error telling me that it
can not connect to the process. It is this error:

Errno::ECONNREFUSED: Connection refused - connect(2)

What causes a DRb process to shut down? If an exception is thrown and
uncaught will that kill it? If the server has too much load will it die?

Any tips on keeping the processes running?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Joel VanderWerf

Ben Johnson wrote:
> I have a program that runs about 10 DRb processes. Ocassionally one of
> the processes will shut down and I will get the error telling me that it
> can not connect to the process. It is this error:
>
> Errno::ECONNREFUSED: Connection refused - connect(2)
>
> What causes a DRb process to shut down? If an exception is thrown and
> uncaught will that kill it? If the server has too much load will it die?
>
> Any tips on keeping the processes running?
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Do you have Thread.abort_on_exception=true ? If not, a thread with an
uncaught exception will die silently.

Ara.T.Howard

Ben Johnson

unknown wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, Ben Johnson wrote:
>
> i have used this approach in production systems with great success for
> several
> years. it's robust and does not even require root privs.
>
> regards.
>

> -a

Can you attach some code that I could use? I'm still kind of lost, but
it sounds good. I really appreciate your help.