Re: What Version of rail/ruby?

Robert Gabaree

9/16/2006 11:09:00 PM

They probably just didn't update that page since 1.8.5 recently came
out. I'm running 1.8.5 with Rails 1.1.6 fine.

On Sep 16, 2006, at 1:22 PM, Collin Miller wrote:

> On 9/16/06, Victor Reyes <victor.reyes@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Forum,
>> I would like to play and learn Rails with Ruby
>> I heard of the so called Ruby on Rails.
>> I recently purchased two ruby/rail books: Rails Recipes (Pragmatic
>> Programmers) and Ruby for Rails: Ruby Techniques for Rails
>> Developers.
>>
>> I installed Ruby 1.8.5 under Windows/XP and under AIX 5.3.
>> However, I now
>> would like to installed Rails.
>> The problem is that I am not sure if the current version of Rails
>> (whatever
>> that is) is compatible with Ruby 1.8.5.
>> Can anyone tell me the best approach to combine Ruby and Rails
>> together?
>> Is there a one-click installer of both?
>>
>> Thank you
>

> From RubyonRails.org:
>
> We recommend Ruby 1.8.4 for use with Rails. Ruby 1.8.2 is fine too,
> but
> version 1.8.3 is not.
>
> Should probably stick with1.8.4 for now.
>
> Install RubyGems http://docs.rub... --> download and run " ruby
> setup.rb "
>
> Then run " gem install rails "
>
> This will give you the latest build. " gem update rails " will
> update to the
> latest build
>
> This should get you set up.

2 Answers

Gregory Brown

On 9/16/06, Victor Reyes <victor.reyes@gmail.com> wrote:
> I will try 1.8.5. I wonder if I need to uninstall 1.8.4 first and start from
> scratch.
> I actually don't mind to start from scratch since I have not done anything
> yet.

I think the problem with 1.8.5 is with breakpoint, which can be
important for debugging Rails apps, but there is a patch available
that fixes it (I think).

Mauricio Fernández

On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 04:47:23AM +0900, Gregory Brown wrote:
> On 9/16/06, Victor Reyes <victor.reyes@gmail.com> wrote:
> >I will try 1.8.5. I wonder if I need to uninstall 1.8.4 first and start
> >from scratch. I actually don't mind to start from scratch since I have not
> >done anything yet.
> >
> I think the problem with 1.8.5 is with breakpoint, which can be
> important for debugging Rails apps, but there is a patch available
> that fixes it (I think).

breakpoint (actually, Binding.of_caller, which it depended on) relies on a bug
in Ruby that was fixed in 1.8.5 [1]. If you want to keep debugging using
breakpoints under 1.8.5, there are two possibilities:
* use ruby-debug [2]
* use call_stack's alternative Binding.of_caller [3].

If you choose the latter, all you have to do is load breakpoint185.rb in your
server, e.g.
ruby -rbreakpoint185 script/server
and proceed as usual (see [3] for information relevant to RubyGems users,
though).

1. http://eige.../hiki.rb?breakpoint+breakin...
2. http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/r...
3. http://eige.../hiki.rb?call_s...