Re: What Version of rail/ruby?

Jonas Hartmann

9/16/2006 5:10:00 PM

Victor Reyes wrote:
> Hello Forum,
> I would like to play and learn Rails with Ruby
> I heard of the so called Ruby on Rails.
> I recently purchased two ruby/rail books: Rails Recipes (Pragmatic
> Programmers) and Ruby for Rails: Ruby Techniques for Rails Developers.
>
> I installed Ruby 1.8.5 under Windows/XP and under AIX 5.3. However, I now
> would like to installed Rails.

Get 1.8.4 as far as I know 1.8.5 has some minor changes that breaks
current stable rails. I just read it somewhere but forgot. I hope I
dont tell crap here.

Get latest rails.

I dont know how to install under windows xp or AIX. AIX is some IBM
Unix derivate as far as I remember.

I used this guide to install it under OS X 10.4
http://hivelogic.com/articles/2005/12/01/ruby_rails_lighttpd_m...

it might help you too cause many things might be simliar and the guide
compiles things from sources anyway. You ll need GCC (I guess 4.0 will
do it best) though.

> The problem is that I am not sure if the current version of Rails (whatever
> that is) is compatible with Ruby 1.8.5.
> Can anyone tell me the best approach to combine Ruby and Rails together?
1.8.4 ruby and 1.16 rails works fine.

> Is there a one-click installer of both?
Maybe for windows.

Regards