Re: modifying the hour in a datetime object already created

Gavin Kistner

9/14/2006 4:47:00 PM

From: Josselin [mailto:josselin@wanadoo.fr]
> but how can I modify the hour, which stays at 16:00:00 ?

You can't - DateTime objects are immutable. You'd need to create the
DateTime object with the correct time.

It's situations like this which motivated me to make my own MutableTime
class (that internally wraps changing Time objects). I never wrapped it
up as a gem, but you can view the documentation and download it from:

http://phrogz.net/RubyLibs/rdoc/files/MutableTi...

(See the "Full Code" link on that page to download it.)

1 Answer

Josselin

On 2006-09-14 18:46:38 +0200, "Gavin Kistner" <gavin.kistner@anark.com> said:

> From: Josselin [mailto:josselin@wanadoo.fr]
>> but how can I modify the hour, which stays at 16:00:00 ?
>
> You can't - DateTime objects are immutable. You'd need to create the
> DateTime object with the correct time.
>
> It's situations like this which motivated me to make my own MutableTime
> class (that internally wraps changing Time objects). I never wrapped it
> up as a gem, but you can view the documentation and download it from:
>
> http://phrogz.net/RubyLibs/rdoc/files/MutableTi...
>
> (See the "Full Code" link on that page to download it.)

thanks a lot Gavin... that's a nice trick for me (I'll need to
manipulate dates ...)
I read 'immutable' in the class description, but did not link it to my
problem... tired.. need to break !