Ruby On Rails install failing

robert.oschler

9/14/2006 2:53:00 AM

I'm trying to get Rails installed on my system. I installed the Ruby
On Rails 1.0.2 package for Eclipse. Then I used the one-click
installer for Ruby 1.8.5 and configured Eclipse with my install
directory (C:\Ruby\bin\ruby.exe). The trouble started when I went to
install the Rails gem, version 1.1.6 (rails-1.1.6.gem). Here is what
is happening on my Win2k box when I try to install the gem from a
Command Window:

C:\Downloads> gem install --debug rails --include-dependencies

Exception `Errno::ENOENT' at
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/config_file.rb:50 - No such
file or directory - C:\Documents and Settings\Robert/.gemrc

Exception `RuntimeError' at c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_
ruby/1.8/rubygems/installer.rb:111 - rails requires activesupport =
1.3.1
ERROR: Error installing gem rails[.gem]: rails requires activesupport =
1.3.1

Looks like a path thing problem but I don't know what to do to fix it.
The system I'm on does have a full fledged connection to the Internet.

Thanks,
Robert

3 Answers

Cary Walker

Robert (or anyone else)

Did you figure out what the problem was?

I'm getting the same error trying to install rails

C:\ruby>gem install rails --include-dependencies --debug
Exception `Errno::ENOENT' at
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/config_file.rb:50 - No such file
or directory - C:\Documents and Settings\cary/.gemrc
Exception `LoadError' at
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27 - no such
file to load -- sources

Also, when I try and list the remote packages the session just hangs.

C:\ruby>gem list -r

*** REMOTE GEMS ***

I'm on Win XP SP2. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Cary

James Britt

Cary Walker wrote:
> Robert (or anyone else)
>
> Did you figure out what the problem was?
>
> I'm getting the same error trying to install rails
>
> C:\ruby>gem install rails --include-dependencies --debug
> Exception `Errno::ENOENT' at
> c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/config_file.rb:50 - No such file
> or directory - C:\Documents and Settings\cary/.gemrc

Is this a matter of some code choking on paths that contain white space?

When developing on Windows Ive learned to avid putting anything anyplace
that has gaps in the full file paths or names.

--
James Britt

Eric Hodel

On Jan 5, 2007, at 10:36, Cary Walker wrote:

> Robert (or anyone else)
>
> Did you figure out what the problem was?
>
> I'm getting the same error trying to install rails
>
> C:\ruby>gem install rails --include-dependencies --debug
> Exception `Errno::ENOENT' at
> c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/config_file.rb:50 - No such
> file
> or directory - C:\Documents and Settings\cary/.gemrc
> Exception `LoadError' at
> c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27 - no such
> file to load -- sources
>
> Also, when I try and list the remote packages the session just hangs.
>
> C:\ruby>gem list -r
>
> *** REMOTE GEMS ***
>
> I'm on Win XP SP2. Any help is appreciated.

I'll bet you're at work behind a proxy of some sort.

Am I right?

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://blog.se...

I LIT YOUR GEM ON FIRE!