Re: "Design patterns of 1972", by MJD

Dick Davies

9/13/2006 7:11:00 PM

On 13/09/06, Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com> wrote:
> In "Design patterns of 1972", Mark-Jason Dominus says:
>
> > Patterns are signs of weakness in programming languages.
> >
> > When we identify and document one, that should not be the
> > end of the story. Rather, we should have the long-term
> > goal of trying to understand how to improve the language
> > so that the pattern becomes invisible or unnecessary.
>
> Interesting read and quite relevant to Ruby and Rails...
>
> http://newbabe.pobox.com/~mjd/blog/2006/09/11/#desig...

Good read, thanks.

Oddly, enough, I only know MJD from his perl advocacy.
Last time I looked, perls oop was entirely built as a 'pattern'
(with only minor 'helpers' like bless, self and new). Wonder if
he's been a driver for some of perl6s new features?

http://number9.helloope...

1 Answer

Logan Capaldo

On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 04:10:54AM +0900, Dick Davies wrote:
> Oddly, enough, I only know MJD from his perl advocacy.
> Last time I looked, perls oop was entirely built as a 'pattern'
> (with only minor 'helpers' like bless, self and new). Wonder if
> he's been a driver for some of perl6s new features?

This is OT, but self and new are both adhoc. All you get is UNIVERSAL,
bless, and @ISA out of the box.