Ruby Site Launced

John W. Long

9/12/2006 12:36:00 AM

We just launched the new Ruby Site:

http://rub...

A full write up here:

http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/news/2006/09/12/site-launc...

Digg it:

http://digg.com/programming/Redesigned_Ruby_Sit...

Kudos to everyone involved!

--
John Long
http://wiseheart...
http://radi...

John W. Long wrote:
> We just launched the new Ruby Site:
>
> http://rub...

Yay! Good job all around

rubyfan

On 9/11/06, John W. Long <ng@johnwlong.com> wrote:
> We just launched the new Ruby Site:
>
> http://rub...
>
> A full write up here:
>
> http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/news/2006/09/12/site-launc...
>
> Digg it:
>
> http://digg.com/programming/Redesigned_Ruby_Sit...

Ummm... the new Ruby site isn't coming up... Or... If... It.. Is...
it's... very... slow...
The digg effect?

Phil

Chad Perrin

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 09:36:03AM +0900, John W. Long wrote:
> We just launched the new Ruby Site:
>
> http://rub...
>
> A full write up here:
>
> http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/news/2006/09/12/site-launc...
>
> Digg it:
>
> http://digg.com/programming/Redesigned_Ruby_Sit...

I dugg it, but only after I reddited it.

http://programming.reddit.com/info/i5a...

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
"The ability to quote is a serviceable

Chad Perrin

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 10:53:23AM +0900, Phil Tomson wrote:
> On 9/11/06, John W. Long <ng@johnwlong.com> wrote:
> >We just launched the new Ruby Site:
> >
> > http://rub...
> >
> >A full write up here:
> >
> > http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/news/2006/09/12/site-launc...
> >
> >Digg it:
> >
> > http://digg.com/programming/Redesigned_Ruby_Sit...
> >

> Ummm... the new Ruby site isn't coming up... Or... If... It.. Is...
> it's... very... slow...
> The digg effect?

That might be a combination of digg and reddit -- and it's possible by
now that it may have made it to del.icio.us and some of the second-tier
tagging sites as well.

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]

Rob Sanheim

On 9/11/06, Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> wrote:
> > Ummm... the new Ruby site isn't coming up... Or... If... It.. Is...
> > it's... very... slow...
> > The digg effect?
>
> That might be a combination of digg and reddit -- and it's possible by
> now that it may have made it to del.icio.us and some of the second-tier
> tagging sites as well.
>
> --
> CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
> "Real ugliness is not harsh-looking syntax, but having to
> build programs out of the wrong concepts." - Paul Graham

I'm sure its getting absolutely hammered.

And everyone knows that Rails doesn't scale.

*ducks*

- rob
--
http://www.robs...
http://www.seekin...

Chad Perrin

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 09:36:03AM +0900, John W. Long wrote:
> We just launched the new Ruby Site:
>
> http://rub...
>
> A full write up here:
>
> http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/news/2006/09/12/site-launc...
>
> Digg it:
>
> http://digg.com/programming/Redesigned_Ruby_Sit...
>
> Kudos to everyone involved!

I've taken the liberty of submitting it to Slashdot as well, though I
rather suspect someone else beat me to it by now, and my submission will
probably be rejected as a result. Hopefully it can take all the
traffic from Slashdot, reddit, digg, et cetera. I think the new design
is worth the attention.

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
"The measure on a man's real character is what he would do

Chad Perrin

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 11:14:27AM +0900, Rob Sanheim wrote:
> On 9/11/06, Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> wrote:
> >> Ummm... the new Ruby site isn't coming up... Or... If... It.. Is...
> >> it's... very... slow...
> >> The digg effect?
> >
> >That might be a combination of digg and reddit -- and it's possible by
> >now that it may have made it to del.icio.us and some of the second-tier
> >tagging sites as well.
>
> I'm sure its getting absolutely hammered.
>
> And everyone knows that Rails doesn't scale.
>
> *ducks*

++ for humor

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]
"The ability to quote is a serviceable
substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

Jeff Schwab

John W. Long wrote:
> We just launched the new Ruby Site:
>
> http://rub...
>
> A full write up here:
>
> http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/news/2006/09/12/site-launc...
>
> Digg it:
>
> http://digg.com/programming/Redesigned_Ruby_Sit...
>
> Kudos to everyone involved!

I'm a little confused by the code sample:

# The famous Hello World
# program is trivial in
# Ruby. You don't need:
#
# * a "main" method
# * newline escapes
# * semicolons
#
# Here's the code:

puts "Hello World!"

A main() method (or function) and semicolons are required by C, C++, and
Java, but none of those languages require newline escapes to implement
Hello World. C & C++ both have puts functions, and Java has the
(admittedly verbose) System.out.println() method.

Stephan Kämper

John W. Long wrote:
> We just launched the new Ruby Site:
>
> http://rub...
>
> A full write up here:
>
> http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/news/2006/09/12/site-launc...

I think it's really great.

Thanks!

And now ... off to London. :-)

Stephan

Jonas Hartmann

John W. Long wrote:
> We just launched the new Ruby Site:...
- it runs smooth
- the real urls are great
- content chosen is nice

- i dont like the right side box design. yes original link colors
(blue + purple) are basically a good choice, but here it somehow
doesnt fit onto the maybe too dark lightblue background.

bud besides that.
great stuff!