uninstalling ruby

Andy Black

I wonder if there is a way to uninstall ruby.
The network administrator who is installing ruby on our server put 5
different copies/versions on the server and now have trouble updating
the gems.
I read that there is no uninstaller for ruby. Is that true?
We just want to remove everything and restart again. Any help is
greately appreciated.

Many Thanks,
-Andy

jmg3000

On 9/11/06, Andy Black <chilaquil@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if there is a way to uninstall ruby.

Depends upon the procedure followed when it was installed.

If you didn't change --prefix, then my guess is that uninstalling is
going to be tedious. Maybe folks here can offer some tips on what to
look for and delete from your /usr/local.

> The network administrator who is installing ruby on our server put 5
> different copies/versions on the server and now have trouble updating
> the gems.
> I read that there is no uninstaller for ruby. Is that true?

It's true that there's no "make uninstall" target.

> We just want to remove everything and restart again. Any help is
> greately appreciated.
>
> Many Thanks,
> -Andy

Assuming you're on GNU/Linux:

1. With great care, remove what got installed in /usr/local by the
2. Next time, install in, say, /opt by following the instructions at
http://wiki.rubygarden.org/Ruby/page/show/Inst... under "Custom
Install on GNU/Linux". That way, uninstalling is as easy as "rm -fr
/opt/ruby-1.x.y".

---John