public_key in X509 format?

Paul Haddad

9/11/2006 5:56:00 AM

Hi All,

Is there any way to get an RSA public key in X509 format? By default
RSA pub keys are dumped out in PKCS#1 format but I really need X509.
I know that the C call that's being used to create the public key is
PEM_write_bio_RSAPublicKey and I don't see any reference to
PEM_write_bio_PUBKEY, so I'm guessing somehow converting from one to
the other is my only choice.

So is there some way to use the current APIs to convert from that
PKCS#1 format to X509?
--
Paul Haddad (paul.haddad@gmail.com paul@pth.com)

2 Answers

snacktime

> So is there some way to use the current APIs to convert from that
> PKCS#1 format to X509?

X509 is the structure used for certificates that contains the
identifying information about the certificate along with the public
key. There is no such thing as a public key in X509 format.
Sometimes people refer to certificates as public key certificates,
because the certificate always has a public key component.

Chris

Paul Haddad

Chris,

On 9/11/06, snacktime <snacktime@gmail.com> wrote:
> X509 is the structure used for certificates that contains the
> identifying information about the certificate along with the public
> key. There is no such thing as a public key in X509 format.
> Sometimes people refer to certificates as public key certificates,
> because the certificate always has a public key component.
I guess I used the wrong terminology I meant the key in X509
SubjectPublicKeyInfo, or to be more precise the one that has

-----BEGIN PUBLIC KEY-----

at the top.
--
Paul Haddad (paul.haddad@gmail.com paul@pth.com)