Capturing stderr from Kernel.exec

Carl Lerche

9/9/2006 3:38:00 AM

Hello,

I'm trying to run some simple commands using Kernel.exec but need to
capture the stderr for them. Is there an (easy) way to do it with
just ruby and the standard library or should I get open4?

Thanks,
-carl

10 Answers

MonkeeSage

Carl Lerche wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to run some simple commands using Kernel.exec but need to
> capture the stderr for them. Is there an (easy) way to do it with
> just ruby and the standard library or should I get open4?
>
> Thanks,
> -carl

Kernel#exec never returns control; it replaces the ruby process with
the one you pass it. You need open3 (stdlib) or popen4.

[1] http://ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/open3/rdoc/...
[2] http://popen4.ruby...

Regards,
Jordan

Ara.T.Howard

thinbluemime

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 11:30:48 -0000, Hunter <buffhunter@my-deja.com> wrote:

> In article
> <79370801-a07a-476a-8a84-c6fbf70382fc@hj4g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>,
> tdciago@aol.com says...

>> Funny that both shows feature a VW
>> Beetle. Was the one in "Grimm" also yellow, or was it white? Maybe
>> they just wanted another German connection.
> ----
> It was more of an off white color but I can't be sure because of the
> lighting.
> When we see the Good Wolf's car in in daylight then we can make a
> judgment, but
> it definitely wasn't yellow.

We had a quick glimpse of the VW during the daylight hours home search. I
looked for high resolution screen captures on the internet, but had no
luck, so I capped the two scenes where the VW appeared. Still unclear of
the VW's color, but if I had to wager at this point, I'd say yellow (with
a white back left fender ?)

http://www.picupine.com/...

tdciago

On Oct 30, 2:13 am, thinbluemime <thinbluem...@tbm.net> wrote:
> We had a quick glimpse of the VW during the daylight hours home search. I
> looked for high resolution screen captures on the internet, but had no
> luck, so I capped the two scenes where the VW appeared. Still unclear of
> the VW's color, but if I had to wager at this point, I'd say yellow (with
> a white back left fender ?)

The German car was a nice touch in both shows, but the Airstream
silver bullet trailer in "Grimm" was a stroke of genius. The RH
initials for Riding Hood also creepily bring to mind blood's Rh
factor.

tdciago

On Oct 30, 7:30 am, Hunter <buffhun...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> Detective "Grimm" even said her first name: Robin.

Yes, and they got a lot of mileage out of that besides "red
robin." (Can you hear the "Yummm!"?) I was so focused on the
backpack's "Riding Hood" initials that I missed the subtle Robin Hood
joke.

suzeeq

Hunter wrote:
> In article <op.v35h9curr99hi5@experience>, thinbluemime@tbm.net says...
>> On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 11:30:48 -0000, Hunter <buffhunter@my-deja.com> wrote:
>>
>>> In article
>>> <79370801-a07a-476a-8a84-c6fbf70382fc@hj4g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>,
>>> tdciago@aol.com says...

>>> ----
>>> It was more of an off white color but I can't be sure because of the
>>> lighting.
>>> When we see the Good Wolf's car in in daylight then we can make a
>>> judgment, but
>>> it definitely wasn't yellow.
>> We had a quick glimpse of the VW during the daylight hours home search. I
>> looked for high resolution screen captures on the internet, but had no
>> luck, so I capped the two scenes where the VW appeared. Still unclear of
>> the VW's color, but if I had to wager at this point, I'd say yellow (with
>> a white back left fender ?)
>>
>> http://www.picupine.com/...
> ----
> That Bug DOES look yellow! Nice catch! It does seem a paler yellow than the
> version Emma drove in "Once Upon a Time". It is an amazing coincidence if that
> is what it is.

I thought the real kidnapper had a yellow VW bus? Looked like it to me.

tdciago

On Oct 30, 7:34 pm, suzeeq <su...@imbris.com> wrote:
> I thought the real kidnapper had a yellow VW bus? Looked like it to me.

This article says there was a VW camper van in the show, but all I
remember was the Beetle:

http://www.examiner.com/rving-in-national/nbs-s-grimm-features-vintage-airstream-trailer-and...
"NBC’s new TV show GRIMM - which debuted last night - featured both an
Airstream Globe Trotter travel trailer and a vintage VW camper van...
....The Airstream – known as the Silver Bullet - has even been used as
an airborne mobile command post by the US military."

There's a slide show, but it only seems to show the Silver Bullet.
Instead of shooting the werewolf, you just run him over with it.

I noticed a VW Beetle commercial during "Once Upon a Time" tonight. I
wonder if the next episode of "Grimm" will also have one.

suzeeq

tdciago wrote:
> On Oct 30, 7:34 pm, suzeeq <su...@imbris.com> wrote:
>> I thought the real kidnapper had a yellow VW bus? Looked like it to me.
>
> This article says there was a VW camper van in the show, but all I
> remember was the Beetle:

Oh yes, I saw the bus, was parked outside the kidnapper's house; to me
it looked yellow.

> http://www.examiner.com/rving-in-national/nbs-s-grimm-features-vintage-airstream-trailer-and...
> "NBC?s new TV show GRIMM - which debuted last night - featured both an
> Airstream Globe Trotter travel trailer and a vintage VW camper van...
> ...The Airstream ? known as the Silver Bullet - has even been used as
> an airborne mobile command post by the US military."
>
> There's a slide show, but it only seems to show the Silver Bullet.
> Instead of shooting the werewolf, you just run him over with it.
>
> I noticed a VW Beetle commercial during "Once Upon a Time" tonight. I
> wonder if the next episode of "Grimm" will also have one.

Horace LaBadie

In article <4eaf1083$1@news.x-privat.org>,
Ken Wesson <kwesson@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 21:29:39 -0700, tdciago wrote:
>
> > On Oct 30, 7:34??pm, suzeeq <su...@imbris.com> wrote:
> >> I thought the real kidnapper had a yellow VW bus? Looked like it to me.
> >
> > This article says there was a VW camper van in the show, but all I
> > remember was the Beetle:
> >
> > http://www.examiner.com/rving-in-national/nbs-s-grimm-feature...
> airstream-trailer-and-vw-camper
> > "NBC???s new TV show GRIMM - which debuted last night - featured both an
> > Airstream Globe Trotter travel trailer and a vintage VW camper van...
> > ...The Airstream ??? known as the Silver Bullet - has even been used as an
> > airborne mobile command post by the US military."
>
> Really? I'd be curious to know how they got it off the ground. :)

In the belly of a C-5 Galaxy?

tdciago

On Oct 31, 5:17 pm, Ken Wesson <kwes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 21:29:39 -0700, tdciago wrote:
> > ...The Airstream – known as the Silver Bullet - has even been used as an
> > airborne mobile command post by the US military."
>
> Really? I'd be curious to know how they got it off the ground. :)

They shot it out of a VERY big gun.