Re: Re : Wirble 0.1.1: Irb Enhancements for the Masses

Gavin Kistner

9/8/2006 6:46:00 PM

From: Paul Duncan [mailto:pabs@pablotron.org]
> http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/W...
> /UserTips/Miscellaneous/CommandInterpreterAnsiSupport.html
>
> I'll add this to the documentation for future releases. Thanks!

FWIW, that page doesn't explicitly mention that while command.com
supposedly works with ansi.sys (I've been unable to get it working
myself, but that's probably just me) cmd.exe, the console most people
use with Win2k/XP, has no way to support ANSI codes. Surprising, but
true (at least, as far as I can tell from various MS and external web
pages).

1 Answer

Alexandru Popescu

On 9/8/06, Eric Torreborre <etorreborre@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I came up with the same conclusion, Gavin:
> -browsing around taught me that cmd.exe could not handle ansi codes
> -I also have troubles with command.com
>
> What's the preferred ruby console for winXP?
>
> Eric.

Hi!

I've installed the 0.1.2 gem on Win XP, but I don't get anything
special (except that screwed output mentioned in this thread).

Here is my .irb file:

[code]
#IRB.conf[:AUTO_INDENT] = true
IRB.conf[:USE_READLINE] = true
IRB.conf[:LOAD_MODULES] = [] unless IRB.conf.key?(:LOAD_MODULES)
unless IRB.conf[:LOAD_MODULES].include?('irb/completion')
IRB.conf[:LOAD_MODULES] << 'irb/completion'
end

# load rubygems and wirble
require 'rubygems' rescue nil
require 'wirble'

# load wirble
Wirble.init
Wirble.colorize
[/code]

Also, I wanted to take a look at the page "RubyGarden "Irb Tips and
Tricks" page" linked from http://pablotron.org/softwa..., but
the link points back to your page.

I am doing something wrong?

/alex