Problems with extensions, RHEL4, $LOAD_PATH

Berger, Daniel

9/8/2006 2:07:00 PM

Ruby 1.8.5
RHEL 4, x86-64
gcc 3.4.5
make 3.80

Something very strange is happening here. The bigdecimal.so file clearly exists:

[ djberge@lxomp55e /usr/local/lib/ruby ] $ pwd
/usr/local/lib/ruby
[ djberge@lxomp55e /usr/local/lib/ruby ] $ find . -name 'bigdecimal.so'
/1.8/x86_64-linux/bigdecimal.so

Yet Ruby can't find it:

djberge@some_host /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8 ] $ irb
irb(main):001:0> require 'bigdecimal'
LoadError: no such file to load -- bigdecimal
from (irb):1:in `require'
from (irb):1

Even though it's in my $LOAD_PATH:

irb(main):002:0> $:
=> ["/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8",
"/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/x86_64-linux",
"/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby", "/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8",
"/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/x86_64-linux", "."]
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What's going on?

Thanks,

Dan

PS - Works fine if I install it in the sitelibdir

prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication

Ara.T.Howard

Berger, Daniel

ara.t.howard@noaa.gov wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Sep 2006, Daniel Berger wrote:
>
>> Ruby 1.8.5
>> RHEL 4, x86-64
>> gcc 3.4.5
>> make 3.80
>>
>> Something very strange is happening here. The bigdecimal.so file
>> clearly exists:
>>
>> [ djberge@lxomp55e /usr/local/lib/ruby ] $ pwd
>> /usr/local/lib/ruby
>> [ djberge@lxomp55e /usr/local/lib/ruby ] $ find . -name 'bigdecimal.so'
>> ./1.8/x86_64-linux/bigdecimal.so
>>
>> Yet Ruby can't find it:
>>
>> djberge@some_host /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8 ] $ irb
>> irb(main):001:0> require 'bigdecimal'
>> LoadError: no such file to load -- bigdecimal
>> from (irb):1:in `require'
>> from (irb):1
>

> which -a irb
>
> ??
>
> -a

/usr/local/bin/irb

irb(main):002:0> RUBY_VERSION
=> "1.8.5"

I did notice that autoconf wasn't installed originally. So, I installed
autoconf (2.59), did a 'make clean' and reinstalled. Still no luck.

Regards,

Dan

ara.t.howard@noaa.gov wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Sep 2006, Daniel Berger wrote:
>
>> ara.t.howard@noaa.gov wrote:

>>> which -a irb
>>>
>>> ??
>>>
>>> -a
>>
>> /usr/local/bin/irb
>>
>> irb(main):002:0> RUBY_VERSION
>> => "1.8.5"
>
> oh well. i was hoping you were picking up an old one ;-)
>
>> I did notice that autoconf wasn't installed originally. So, I installed
>> autoconf (2.59), did a 'make clean' and reinstalled. Still no luck.
>
> hmmm. no idea, but does either of these give any leads?
>
> /usr/local/bin/ruby -r
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/x86_64-linux/bigdecimal.so -e 42
>
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib /usr/local/bin/ruby -r
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/x86_64-linux/bigdecimal.so -e 42
>
> /usr/local/bin/ruby -r yaml -r rbconfig -e' y Config::CONFIG ' | less
>
> grasping at straws...
>

> btw. i can compile 1.8.5 on a rhel4 box later today and give you a report.
>

> -a

GAH! Stupid sudo umask settings!

It was a permissions issue. Disregard.

Thanks,

Dan

prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication