[ANN] Wirble 0.1.1: Irb Enhancements for the Masses

Paul Duncan

9/8/2006 9:23:00 AM

Hi All,

I just released version 0.1.1 of Wirble. Wirble is a small collection
of enhancements Irb, packaged in an easy-to-use format. Wirble includes
tab-completion, persistent history, built-in ri support, and syntax
highlighting for Irb results. Here's a screenshot of Wirble in action:

http://pablotron.org/software/wirble/shots/wi...

All of Wirble's features are configurable, including the color settings.
Each is documented in glorious technicolor in the README, which is
linked below.

URLs
====
* Wirble 0.1.1 Tarball
o Download: http://pablotron.org/files/wirble-0....
o Signature: http://pablotron.org/files/wirble-0.....asc
* Wirble 0.1.1 Gem
o Download: http://pablotron.org/files/wirble...
o Signature: http://pablotron.org/files/wirble....asc
* Documentation
o Secret Decoder Ring: http://pablotron.org/software/wir...
o ChangeLog: http://pablotron.org/software/wirble/Chang...

If you've seen most of Wirble before, that's because, well, you've seen
most of Wirble before. Several of the features were collected from the
"Irb Tips and Tricks" page of the Ruby Garden Wiki. My Irb config file
was out of control, so I decided to clean things up and share the
results.

Questions, comments, candy, weapons of mass destruction, etc, are always
appreciated, and can be sent to the email address below.

--
Paul Duncan <pabs@pablotron.org> pabs in #ruby-lang (OPN IRC)
http://www.pabl... OpenPGP Key ID: 0x82C29562

benjohn

> Hi All,
>
> I just released version 0.1.1 of Wirble. Wirble is a small collection
> of enhancements Irb, packaged in an easy-to-use format. Wirble includes
> tab-completion, persistent history, built-in ri support, and syntax
> highlighting for Irb results. Here's a screenshot of Wirble in action:

That looks great! :) A feature request: Could you syntax highlight the
input lines as well as the output lines?

Cheers,
Benj

William Crawford

unknown wrote:
> That looks great! :) A feature request: Could you syntax highlight the
> input lines as well as the output lines?
>
> Cheers,
> Benj

Like, in real time, like an IDE? That'd be awesome.

William Crawford

Eric Torreborre wrote:
> -the coloring alters the output line
>>> p "hee"
> "hee"
> => �[0;32mnil�[0;0m

Those are ANSI codes. You'll need to use a console that deals with
them, or load ANSI.SYS.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kbase/WindowsTips/Windows2000/UserTips/Miscellaneous/CommandInterpreterAnsiSu...

John Wilger

On 9/8/06, Paul Duncan <pabs@pablotron.org> wrote:
> URLs
> ====

> * Wirble 0.1.1 Gem
> o Download: http://pablotron.org/files/wirble...
> o Signature: http://pablotron.org/files/wirble....asc

FYI, the gem file doesn't seem to exist. I tried both the URL abave
and RubyForge (which is specified n the README in the tarball).

--
Regards,
John Wilger

-----------
Alice came to a fork in the road. "Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
- Lewis Carrol, Alice in Wonderland

F. Senault

Le 08 septembre à 15:32, John Wilger a écrit :

> On 9/8/06, Paul Duncan <pabs@pablotron.org> wrote:
>> URLs
>> ====
>
>> * Wirble 0.1.1 Gem
>> o Download: http://pablotron.org/files/wirble...
>> o Signature: http://pablotron.org/files/wirble....asc
>
> FYI, the gem file doesn't seem to exist. I tried both the URL abave
> and RubyForge (which is specified n the README in the tarball).

I found it there :

http://pablotron.org/files/gems/wirble...

Nice little tool, BTW... ;)

Fred
--
In the beginning there was nothing, and God said, "Let there be light."
And there was still nothing, but you could see it.

Nicolas Olivier

* John Wilger (johnwilger@gmail.com) wrote:
> On 9/8/06, Paul Duncan <pabs@pablotron.org> wrote:
> >URLs
> >====
>
> >* Wirble 0.1.1 Gem
> > o Download: http://pablotron.org/files/wirble...
> > o Signature: http://pablotron.org/files/wirble....asc
>
> FYI, the gem file doesn't seem to exist. I tried both the URL abave
> and RubyForge (which is specified n the README in the tarball).

That's what I get for doing a release at 4am :).

All my gems are located at http://pablotron.org/f.... So the
correct URLs for the Wirble gem are:

http://pablotron.org/files/wirble...
http://pablotron.org/files/wirble....asc

Thanks for the heads up!

* Surendra Singhi (efuzzyone@netscape.net) wrote:
> Hi Paul,
> When I tried it on Windows XP, I get this wierd error:
> I don't have rubilicious

Now that is bug is both hilarious and stupid.

I must have used the rubilcious gemspec as a template for the Wirble
gempsec :).

I'll get that fixed and release a new version, stat.

--

Paul Duncan wrote:
> * John Wilger (johnwilger@gmail.com) wrote:
>> On 9/8/06, Paul Duncan <pabs@pablotron.org> wrote:
>> >URLs
>> >====
>>
>> >* Wirble 0.1.1 Gem
>> > o Download: http://pablotron.org/files/wirble...
>> > o Signature: http://pablotron.org/files/wirble....asc
>>
>> FYI, the gem file doesn't seem to exist. I tried both the URL abave
>> and RubyForge (which is specified n the README in the tarball).
>
> That's what I get for doing a release at 4am :).
>
> All my gems are located at http://pablotron.org/f.... So the
> correct URLs for the Wirble gem are:
>
> http://pablotron.org/files/wirble...
> http://pablotron.org/files/wirble....asc
>
> Thanks for the heads up!

Hmm... Maybe it's not just the 4am thing ;) Maybe you have a mental
block dealing with gems and urls?

<cough>
> http://pablotron.org/f...wirble-0.1.1.gem
> http://pablotron.org/f...wirble-0.1.1.gem.asc
</cough>

;)

Ben Bleything

On Sat, Sep 09, 2006, Paul Duncan wrote:
> All my gems are located at http://pablotron.org/f.... So the
> correct URLs for the Wirble gem are:
>
> http://pablotron.org/files/wirble...
> http://pablotron.org/files/wirble....asc