[Fwd: Sun to Support Ruby]

Robert Klemme

9/8/2006 6:35:00 AM

FYI

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Sun to Support Ruby
Date: 7 Sep 2006 21:57:16 -0700
From: mazurr@gmail.com
Newsgroups: comp.lang.java.programmer

Was at Sun Tech Days in Seattle today for a bit. Rich Green announced
that Sun will be supporting Ruby and Ruby on Rails. They have hired on
a few Ruby gurus to help the cause along. The JVM will become the VM
(less the "J") and interpret Java and Ruby....and perhaps other
languages down the road.

They are currently working on support for Ruby in Netbeans, and (if I
heard correctly) plan for some form of Ruby support in Netbeans 5.5.

Sounds cool to me. Opinions?

Rob

p.s. Also saw more of how Project Looking Glass was shaping up during
a Sun Spot demo. The desktop looked a lot cooler today than the demos
found at Sun ( http://www.sun.com/software/looking_glas... )
3 Answers

Gerard

Mark Stenroos wrote:
> On Jun 24, 9:47 am, "Gerard" <ghend_no_spam_rik...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Mark Stenroos wrote:
> > > Wednesday, the Congressional Budget Office released its updated
> > > long-
> >
> > Typically wrong newsgroup.
>
> 1. The OP was marked Off Topic. Why did you remove the OT designation?

I did NOT.
The cause of it's disappearing has been dicussed here recently.

> 2. The OT designation is TYPICALLY used in ANY internet ng to denote a
> topic that is off-topic with regards to the usual subject matter of
> ANY ng, but that may be of interest to members of that ng.

Not entirely true.
It is used mostly in newsgroups where Americans like to "discuss" American
things whatever the subject of the newsgroup is.
It's pollution of newsgroups.
You know that of course.

> 3. Everybody here seems to be aware of points 1 & 2, except, that is,
> for Gerard, who feels the compulsion to make his "wrong newsgroup"
> comment every time an OT thread appears on rmcr, even though it is

You can easily see that this is a lie.

> well within the sphere of what we call netiquette to post OT threads
> *as long as one marks them OT.*

Nope. What you call netiquette is not necessarily what "WE" call netiquette of
what *IS* netiquette.

> 4. No one is demanding you respond to OT threads, yet you just can't
> seem to help yourself when those OT threads are posted by me,
> regardless of the fact that OT threads are common and an accepted part
> of every usenet ng on the planet.

How would you know?
(Probably "the planet" for you is rmcr and all village news in the US.)

> You're a boor.

Really?
I'm chocked.

Frank Berger

Mark Stenroos wrote:
> On Jun 24, 9:47 am, "Gerard" <ghend_no_spam_rik...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Mark Stenroos wrote:
>>> Wednesday, the Congressional Budget Office released its updated
>>> long-
>>
>> Typically wrong newsgroup.
>
> 1. The OP was marked Off Topic. Why did you remove the OT designation?
>
> 2. The OT designation is TYPICALLY used in ANY internet ng to denote a
> topic that is off-topic with regards to the usual subject matter of
> ANY ng, but that may be of interest to members of that ng.
>
> 3. Everybody here seems to be aware of points 1 & 2, except, that is,
> for Gerard, who feels the compulsion to make his "wrong newsgroup"
> comment every time an OT thread appears on rmcr, even though it is
> well within the sphere of what we call netiquette to post OT threads
> *as long as one marks them OT.*
>
> 4. No one is demanding you respond to OT threads, yet you just can't
> seem to help yourself when those OT threads are posted by me,
> regardless of the fact that OT threads are common and an accepted part
> of every usenet ng on the planet.
>
> You're a boor.

Please explain your source for asserting that OT threads that are so marked
are "well within the sphere of what we call netiquette." There's no
question that marking them thusly is more considerate than not marking them,
but for the person who starts more OT threads than anyone else to make that
claim sounds a little self-serving unless you can back it up with something
other than your own opinion.

Gerard

Frank Berger wrote:
> Mark Stenroos wrote:
> > On Jun 24, 9:47 am, "Gerard" <ghend_no_spam_rik...@hotmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > Typically wrong newsgroup.
> >
> > 1. The OP was marked Off Topic. Why did you remove the OT
> > designation?
> >
> > 2. The OT designation is TYPICALLY used in ANY internet ng to
> > denote a topic that is off-topic with regards to the usual subject
> > matter of ANY ng, but that may be of interest to members of that ng.
> >
> > 3. Everybody here seems to be aware of points 1 & 2, except, that
> > is, for Gerard, who feels the compulsion to make his "wrong
> > newsgroup" comment every time an OT thread appears on rmcr, even
> > though it is well within the sphere of what we call netiquette to
> > post OT threads *as long as one marks them OT.*
> >
> > 4. No one is demanding you respond to OT threads, yet you just can't
> > seem to help yourself when those OT threads are posted by me,
> > regardless of the fact that OT threads are common and an accepted
> > part of every usenet ng on the planet.
> >
> > You're a boor.
>
> Please explain your source for asserting that OT threads that are so
> marked are "well within the sphere of what we call netiquette."
> There's no question that marking them thusly is more considerate than
> not marking them, but for the person who starts more OT threads than
> anyone else to make that claim sounds a little self-serving unless
> you can back it up with something other than your own opinion.

It IS self-serving only.
Specially because more than 95% of all posts in this ng find place in such
threads, which the thread starter knows. It's a form of abusing a ng for one's
own purposes.