Re: what can you automate with Ruby?

Torben Wölm

9/8/2006 6:29:00 AM

> If anyone else has any information on Office Automation, and
> specifically how it fits into Win32OLE, I'd really appreciate
> it - what
> I'd really like to have is a "canonical" list of all methods for each
> available Office module. But I haven't found anything close to that
> yet.

I'm using WIN32OLE to control Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.

The way I went about to see which properties and methods to call, was to load excel, open VBA inside Excel (Alt+F11), then add a reference to the library I want to use from the Tools menu. Then I can browse the library in the object browser (F2).

Kind regards,
torben

5 Answers

shawn

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 22:07:41 -0400, Barry Margolin
<barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

>In article <j8h6ie$4cr$1@dont-email.me>,
> "Icebreaker" <icebreaker@nowheres.com> wrote:
>
>> "tdciago" <tdciago@aol.com> wrote in message

>> > I thought this was fantastic. In the battle of the fairy tale shows,
>> > "Grimm" takes the early lead for me.
>>
>> Hard to tell based on a single episode of both, but Once gets my early nod
>> and has the best casting of the two shows by far.
>
>Me too. Grimm seems like just another procedural, except with
>supernatural stuff thrown in. And by the coincidence that is TV tropes,
>now every case he gets is going to be somehow related to fairy tale
>characters.

I think there's more to it based on what we saw in the preview for
upcoming episodes. Though it may take some time for it to play out. In
any case given his jobs (both as a detective and as a Grimm) it's
obvious that he's going to be going after the bad guys. Being a
detective will give him some cover for his role as a Grimm. Though
there's obviously going to be some conflict with his boss that goes
beyond the normal employee/boss relationship.

>"Once" seems more original, much like we felt about Lost when it came
>out. I'm really curious to see where they plan to go with it.

I do like Once Upon a Time especially since they actually gave
Jennifer Morrison something to do which House often didn't do. I'm
interested in seeing where both shows are going but don't really
expect them to gel until the third or fourth episode.

Barry Margolin

In article <sbgpa7luih0d3p53uhuqb5idivmfjjmu4u@4ax.com>,
shawn <nanoflower@gNOTmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 22:07:41 -0400, Barry Margolin
> <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> >In article <j8h6ie$4cr$1@dont-email.me>,
> > "Icebreaker" <icebreaker@nowheres.com> wrote:
> >
> >> "tdciago" <tdciago@aol.com> wrote in message

> >> Hard to tell based on a single episode of both, but Once gets my early nod
> >> and has the best casting of the two shows by far.
> >
> >Me too. Grimm seems like just another procedural, except with
> >supernatural stuff thrown in. And by the coincidence that is TV tropes,
> >now every case he gets is going to be somehow related to fairy tale
> >characters.
>
> I think there's more to it based on what we saw in the preview for
> upcoming episodes. Though it may take some time for it to play out. In

Yeah, there's also some kind of conspiracy/mystery. Kind of like
"Unforgettable" has the case of the week and also the mystery of her
sister's murder.

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA

Ubiquitous

On Oct 29 2011 10:07 PM, Barry Margolin wrote:

> "Once" seems more original, much like we felt about Lost when it came
> out. I'm really curious to see where they plan to go with it.

Alas, since it is made by the same people as Lost, we already know the
answer.

--
"If Barack Obama isn't careful, he will become the Jimmy Carter of the
21st century."

______________________________________________________________________?

David Johnston

On 10/30/2011 9:59 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:
> On Oct 29 2011 10:07 PM, Barry Margolin wrote:
>
>> "Once" seems more original, much like we felt about Lost when it came
>> out. I'm really curious to see where they plan to go with it.
>
> Alas, since it is made by the same people as Lost, we already know the
> answer.

Tsk. This is totally different. There's no mystery bound to disappoint
here, no pretensions at the start that something rational is going to
explain things.

Stan Brown

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 22:07:41 -0400, Barry Margolin wrote:
> Grimm seems like just another procedural, except with
> supernatural stuff thrown in. And by the coincidence that is TV tropes,
> now every case he gets is going to be somehow related to fairy tale
> characters.

I think it's a little too soon to say. This could be a police
procedural, but the pilot also set up quite a lot of origin story.
We don't know what the aunt was doing with all that hardware, so it's
quite possible that the "last of the Grimms" may have some sort of
hereditary mission to fulfill, where being a policeman gets in the
way -- as it did to some extent in the pilot.

http://OakRoadS...
"I'm not as nice as people think I am. I'm studying to be a lawyer."
-- Arthur Schillub, on /Homefront/