what is the best non-rails web/ruby development environment for windows?

Edward

9/8/2006 3:27:00 AM

So I want to develop ruby sites locally like I do PHP5 sites.
For PHP I use locally Apache to view and ZendPHPEclipse as my editor.

How do most of your develop non-rails ruby webs locally?
(I'll get into rails later, I want to get the basics of Ruby down
first.)
Is debugging possible?

Thanks,

Edward Tanguay
All my projects: http://www.ta...

13 Answers

Max Muermann

On 9/8/06, Edward <edward@tanguay.info> wrote:
> So I want to develop ruby sites locally like I do PHP5 sites.
> For PHP I use locally Apache to view and ZendPHPEclipse as my editor.
>
> How do most of your develop non-rails ruby webs locally?

I think most people user Rails for Ruby web development. While using
Ruby without Rails to develope web apps is certainly possible, I would
not recommend it. Ruby is not like PHP in that respect - PHP was
originally designed as a perl preprocessor. Ruby is a very
comprehensive general-purpose programming language.

The RDT plugin for eclipse is pretty good. There's also RadRails,
which build on RDT and adds Railsy functionality.

> (I'll get into rails later, I want to get the basics of Ruby down
> first.)

That's certainly a good idea, but web development is probably not the
best way to do that.

> Is debugging possible?

Yes. The debugger that ships with Ruby is slow, but there is the
ruby-debug gem, which speeds things up. It's a text-based debugger, at
the moment there are AFAIK no good free graphical debuggers available.

That said, you don't really need a graphical debugger for Ruby. I was
originally under the impression that I could not live without a
debugger, but after getting to grips with the language I have found
that it's just not necessary.

Cheers,
Max

Huw Collingbourne

"Max Muermann" <ruby@muermann.org> wrote in message

> the moment there are AFAIK no good free graphical debuggers available.

If you have Visual Studio 2005, you can download the free version of Ruby In
Steel which has a full suite of graphical debugging tools - breakpoints,
trace into/over, drag-and-drop watch variables, locals, autos, call stack,
integrated debug-and-eval console etc. :-)

best wishes
Huw Collingbourne

http://www.sapphir...
Ruby Programming In Visual Studio 2005

Ilan Berci

Edward wrote:

> How do most of your develop non-rails ruby webs locally?
> (I'll get into rails later, I want to get the basics of Ruby down
> first.)
> Is debugging possible?

I believe that you may be interested in http://www.nitropr...
and why's http://redhanded.hobix.com/bits/campingAMicrofram....
Both of which are "lighter" than rails and may be what you are looking
for.

Nitro offers a very fast startup and has cool videos that I found very
impr*ssive.

why's camping framework is all there on one page and is quite the
learning experience if you parse through it. It is one of the best
examples on how Ruby can express so much out of so little (and the site
is worth the visit just for the jokes alone)..

Hope this helps

p.s. The spam filter blocked me on impr*ssive, please replace the "*"
with an "e" for your reading pleasure.. :)

ilan

David Vallner

Ilan Berci wrote:
> p.s. The spam filter blocked me on impr*ssive, please replace the "*"
> with an "e" for your reading pleasure.. :)

*blink*

It's final. The world is insane. Time to make a "The Ende Ys Neare"
sandwich board.

David Vallner

James Britt

Ilan Berci wrote:
> Edward wrote:
>
>>How do most of your develop non-rails ruby webs locally?
>>(I'll get into rails later, I want to get the basics of Ruby down
>>first.)
>>Is debugging possible?
>

> I believe that you may be interested in http://www.nitropr...
> and why's http://redhanded.hobix.com/bits/campingAMicrofram....
> Both of which are "lighter" than rails and may be what you are looking
> for.
>
> Nitro offers a very fast startup and has cool videos that I found very
> impr*ssive.
>
> why's camping framework is all there on one page and is quite the
> learning experience if you parse through it. It is one of the best
> examples on how Ruby can express so much out of so little (and the site
> is worth the visit just for the jokes alone)..
>
> Hope this helps

Also look for IOWA and Cerise.

http://enigo.com/projects/iowa/tutorial/what_...
http://cerise.ruby...

--
James Britt

"A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming is
not worth knowing."
- A. Perlis

jmg3000

On 9/7/06, Edward <edward@tanguay.info> wrote:
> So I want to develop ruby sites locally like I do PHP5 sites.
> For PHP I use locally Apache to view and ZendPHPEclipse as my editor.
>
> How do most of your develop non-rails ruby webs locally?

I haven't really used it much, but you might look into erb (or eruby).
It works like php or jsp: you write html containing embedded Ruby code
(an .rhtml file), and when you pass it through erb, the code gets
executed while the .rhtml file is being processed. A standard Ruby
install comes with erb. See the PickAxe for documentation on it.

erb: Comes with Ruby, written in Ruby.
eruby: Written in C (http://www.modruby.net/en/index.rbx/eruby/w...).

---John

James Britt

Edward wrote:
> So I want to develop ruby sites locally like I do PHP5 sites.
> For PHP I use locally Apache to view and ZendPHPEclipse as my editor.
>
> How do most of your develop non-rails ruby webs locally?

Nitro, or, for simpler stuff, Catapult.

> (I'll get into rails later, I want to get the basics of Ruby down
> first.)

There are some interesting presumptions in that statement.

--
James Britt

"The use of anthropomorphic terminology when dealing with
computing systems is a symptom of professional immaturity."
- Edsger W. Dijkstra

Jeff

Huw Collingbourne wrote:
> "Max Muermann" <ruby@muermann.org> wrote in message
>
>> the moment there are AFAIK no good free graphical debuggers available.
>
> If you have Visual Studio 2005, you can download the free version of
> Ruby In
> Steel which has a full suite of graphical debugging tools - breakpoints,
> trace into/over, drag-and-drop watch variables, locals, autos, call
> stack,
> integrated debug-and-eval console etc. :-)
>
> best wishes
> Huw Collingbourne

Huw, it sure would be nice if you contributed meaningfully to this list,
at least once in a while, instead of just advertising on it.

If not, we should make you put [ADV] on all your subject lines.

Jeff

Logan Capaldo

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 04:20:36AM +0900, Jeff Cohen wrote:
> Huw Collingbourne wrote:
> > "Max Muermann" <ruby@muermann.org> wrote in message
> >
> >> the moment there are AFAIK no good free graphical debuggers available.
> >
> > If you have Visual Studio 2005, you can download the free version of
> > Ruby In
> > Steel which has a full suite of graphical debugging tools - breakpoints,
> > trace into/over, drag-and-drop watch variables, locals, autos, call
> > stack,
> > integrated debug-and-eval console etc. :-)
> >
> > best wishes
> > Huw Collingbourne
>

> Huw, it sure would be nice if you contributed meaningfully to this list,
> at least once in a while, instead of just advertising on it.
>
> If not, we should make you put [ADV] on all your subject lines.
>
> Jeff
I don't think that's really fair. The poster was looking for a graphical
debugger, Huw has his Visual Studio integration for ruby (which gives
you a graphical debugger) and pointed it out as an option. Huw isn't
selling anything, and he doesn't spam the list with "Ruby In Steel!!!"
either. If you really think his occasional advocacy of his (free as in
beer)
software is so bad, you can always just killfile him.

William Crawford

Logan Capaldo wrote:
> I don't think that's really fair. The poster was looking for a graphical
> debugger, Huw has his Visual Studio integration for ruby (which gives

I have to agree, here. While I normally despise people advertising
stuff on mailing lists, this appears to be simply an answer to the
question.

I must say, though, that it somehow just feels 'wrong' to sell tools
that help with open source projects. (Like Ruby.) Even if there's a
'free version'. I fully realize that good software is hard to write and
people must eat and all that... It just doesn't feel right to me.