Read from XLS and substitute values in Ruby (Watir

Madu Nar

9/7/2006 11:30:00 PM

Hello there,
I am trying to read multiple columns from an xls file and substiture
those values into a text_field

Ex: My xls contains
User Name password
aaa abc321
bbb abc123

I need to pass each row of records into a text_fields for username and
password and click on go...

I need to do this till the end of the file... could somebody tell me as
to how I parameterize the values for the text fields so that it
automatically picks up the records for each row...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
MN

Paul Lutus

Madu Nar wrote:

> Hello there,
> I am trying to read multiple columns from an xls file and substiture
> those values into a text_field
>
> Ex: My xls contains
> User Name password
> aaa abc321
> bbb abc123
>

> I need to pass each row of records into a text_fields for username and
> password and click on go...
>
> I need to do this till the end of the file... could somebody tell me as
> to how I parameterize the values for the text fields so that it
> automatically picks up the records for each row...

In your example above, one of the field names is "User Name", with a space.
Yet the field separator for the data records below it appears to uses one
or more spaces as delimiters. On the other hand, it might be tabs, hard to
tell from your post.

Let's assume that tabs are used instead of spaces between the fields. If
that is true, then (untested):

File.read("filename").each do |record|
record.split("\t").each do |field|
# your turn

Paul Lutus
http://www.ara...

Madu Nar

Hello Paul,
Thank you so much for the Info...
I tried and it did work. But, how do I pass each of those split
tokens as separate parameters for the text fields.

Ex: ie.text_field(:name,
"SearchFormHandler.searchTerms").set("Brian Kantz")
ie.select_list(:name,
"SearchFormHandler.state").select("California")

So the values Brian Kantz, California should be automatically
substituted from the file... Your help is greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Madu

Paul Lutus wrote:

> Madu Nar wrote:
>
>> I need to pass each row of records into a text_fields for username and
>> password and click on go...
>>
>> I need to do this till the end of the file... could somebody tell me as
>> to how I parameterize the values for the text fields so that it
>> automatically picks up the records for each row...
>
> In your example above, one of the field names is "User Name", with a
> space.
> Yet the field separator for the data records below it appears to uses
> one
> or more spaces as delimiters. On the other hand, it might be tabs, hard
> tell from your post.
>
> Let's assume that tabs are used instead of spaces between the fields. If
> that is true, then (untested):
>
> File.read("filename").each do |record|
> record.split("\t").each do |field|
> # your turn

Madu Nar

Also,Is there a way to read from csv file or xls file because currently
I am trying to read from a txt file.
Should I Require/import any particular libraries before trying to read
from a CSV or an xls file.
Any help appreciated.

Thanks again,
Madu