Parsing emails

brian.kejser

9/7/2006 10:51:00 PM

Hi

Are there any Ruby libraries that can parse a mime formatted email with
text and html sections?

Thanks

17 Answers

Mike Dvorkin

Check out RubyMail at http://rubyforge.org/projects...

Mike Dvorkin
http://www.rubyw...

On Sep 7, 2006, at 3:51 PM, brian.kejser@protexis.com wrote:

> Hi
>
> Are there any Ruby libraries that can parse a mime formatted email
> with
> text and html sections?
>
> Thanks

TheKorn

Rompen <rompen82@gmail.com> wrote in news:34c81112-8371-477d-abd0-
e39843fafedd@g6g2000pro.googlegroups.com:

> What's interesting is, since I've put the word out on my find, I've
> gotten at least two dozen inquiries from people who are interested,
> not one of which has mentioned a dollar amount. So I have no idea who
> wants what and is really interested or just looking for something for
> next to nothing?

Oh come on man! Nobody is giving you any prices because without pictures
showing in detail how much is water damaged on which machine, (plus the
condition of the machines otherwise), it's ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to put a
dollar amount on what the surviving pieces are worth! You could have
some nice parts or you could have ABSOLUTE TRASH, and with no further
information there's no way to tell!

Think about it this way... If you saw this ad in your local paper:

"Car, doesn't work, was in a flood. I think some of the pieces are good.
No pictures."

....you wouldn't go anywhere NEAR the thing. Same principle applies here!

To be honest, you more than likely paid too much. A machine that's been
sitting on its ass end in a few feet of *water* is worth $50 for the
backglass, and that's sometimes being generous. (KISS maybe more because
it's KISS, but that's about it.)

Everything else is a crapshoot. Who knows *what's* wrong with the stuff.
Cleaning up parts that have been sitting in typical flood water (or
worse, sewage) is often more trouble than they're worth. (*forget* about
bottom boards, for example!) If the ass end of the playfield was in
water that makes the playfield worth *zero*. And these games were all
single level affairs, so it's not as though there are any ramps you could
scavenge. The plastics should be saleable, but they're not much in
demand for any of these titles.

--
Have a home video that's trapped on your camera? Want to share it on the
web or on DVD?

http://www.webwide...

Rompen

On Sep 28, 1:35 am, TheKorn <TheK...@TheKorn.Net> wrote:
> Rompen <rompe...@gmail.com> wrote in news:34c81112-8371-477d-abd0-
> e39843faf...@g6g2000pro.googlegroups.com:
>
> > What's interesting is, since I've put the word out on my find, I've
> > gotten at least two dozen inquiries from people who are interested,
> > not one of which has mentioned a dollar amount.  So I have no idea who
> > wants what and is really interested or just looking for something for
> > next to nothing?
>
> Oh come on man!  Nobody is giving you any prices because without pictures
> showing in detail how much is water damaged on which machine, (plus the
> condition of the machines otherwise), it's ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to put a
> dollar amount on what the surviving pieces are worth!  You could have
> some nice parts or you could have ABSOLUTE TRASH, and with no further
> information there's no way to tell!
>
> Think about it this way...  If you saw this ad in your local paper:
>
> "Car, doesn't work, was in a flood.  I think some of the pieces are good.
> No pictures."
>
> ...you wouldn't go anywhere NEAR the thing.  Same principle applies here!
>
> To be honest, you more than likely paid too much.  A machine that's been
> sitting on its ass end in a few feet of *water* is worth $50 for the
> backglass, and that's sometimes being generous.  (KISS maybe more because
> it's KISS, but that's about it.)
>
> Everything else is a crapshoot.  Who knows *what's* wrong with the stuff.
> Cleaning up parts that have been sitting in typical flood water (or
> worse, sewage) is often more trouble than they're worth.  (*forget* about
> bottom boards, for example!)  If the ass end of the playfield was in
> water that makes the playfield worth *zero*.  And these games were all
> single level affairs, so it's not as though there are any ramps you could
> scavenge.  The plastics should be saleable, but they're not much in
> demand for any of these titles.
>
> --
> Have a home video that's trapped on your camera?  Want to share it on the
> web or on DVD?
>
> http://www.webwide...

I posted pictures and details elsewhere. I can provide pictures and
details. Even after that, I got a bunch of ambiguous responses.
Maybe it's my responsibility to set a price... ok, fine... but I'm
just trying to gauge whether there's any interest in parting out any
of these games or not.

> I posted pictures and details elsewhere.

Where? Here? 'cuz google only shows five threads by you, including this
one:

http://groups.google.com/groups/search?safe=off&q...
40gmail.com+group%3Arec.games.pinball&btnG=Search&sitesearch=

( http://tinyurl.c... )

> I can provide pictures and
> details. Even after that, I got a bunch of ambiguous responses.

Without seeing the pictures in question (i.e. are they "good" pictures or
"80 miles in orbit" pictures) can't really speak to that.

> Maybe it's my responsibility to set a price... ok, fine... but I'm
> just trying to gauge whether there's any interest in parting out any
> of these games or not.

Since google doesn't know anything about these pictures, kind of
impossible to tell.

--

On Sep 28, 2:06 am, TheKorn <TheK...@TheKorn.Net> wrote:
> Rompen <rompe...@gmail.com> wrote innews:66cd815c-3268-49d9-9a57-d2488e5cab3f@g18g2000vbn.googlegroups.com:
>
> > I posted pictures and details elsewhere.
>
> Where?  Here?  'cuz google only shows five threads by you, including this
> one:
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups/search?safe=off&q...
> 40gmail.com+group%3Arec.games.pinball&btnG=Search&sitesearch=
>
> (  http://tinyurl.c...)
>
> > I can provide pictures and
> > details.    Even after that, I got a bunch of ambiguous responses.
>
> Without seeing the pictures in question (i.e. are they "good" pictures or
> "80 miles in orbit" pictures) can't really speak to that.
>
> > Maybe it's my responsibility to set a price... ok, fine... but I'm
> > just trying to gauge whether there's any interest in parting out any
> > of these games or not.
>
> Since google doesn't know anything about these pictures, kind of
> impossible to tell.

All you have to do is ask... I thought that's how this works.. someone
says "I have something you might be interested in" and someone goes,
"can I see it?" and things go from there....

All the machines are sitting right behind me. If someone says, "show
me a picture of the backglass for James Bond", I can turn around, take
a picture and post it.

For example, here's the spiderman - this is when I picked it up. I
haven't even wiped it down yet. If someone asks, I can wipe it down
and take closer pictures:

http://imgur.com...

Here's a quick shot of the James Bond:

http://imgur.com...

To be honest, I haven't even wiped the dust off these things yet. I'm
slowly discovering what condition they're in little-by-little.

The only machine I tore into so far was the Kiss machine and it
appears to be 100% complete. Every part and every board as far as I
can tell is there.

Quick shot of the Kiss backglass:

http://imgur.com...

quick shot of the playfield:

http://imgur.com...

again, upon request, I can provide more detailed shots.. however, I'm
just trying to find out if anybody is interested or its even worth
posting..

>> Since google doesn't know anything about these pictures, kind of
>> impossible to tell.
>
> All you have to do is ask... I thought that's how this works.. someone
> says "I have something you might be interested in" and someone goes,
> "can I see it?" and things go from there....

Haha, dude, not only do you have the cart before the horse, the cart is
sitting upside down with its wheels in the air!

Here's how it normally works...

"FS... Bright Shiny Object! $250 out the door! Here's a link to a
picture album with lots of good pictures... http://google.com... "

or

"FS... parts machine. $50 out the door. Here's a link to some pictures
of the machine, showing the bottom board (EMs), the bottom of the PF so
you can tell if it's complete, and the back of the BG."

You'll get traction with those kinds of formats. Otherwise, you just
come off as a newbie who honestly doesn't know what he's doing. (Just
trying to be honest with you here.)

> All the machines are sitting right behind me. If someone says, "show
> me a picture of the backglass for James Bond", I can turn around, take
> a picture and post it.
>
> For example, here's the spiderman - this is when I picked it up. I
> haven't even wiped it down yet. If someone asks, I can wipe it down
> and take closer pictures:

Yeah, see, all that picture tells me is that you *have* a spider man, and
that the glass isn't horribly flaked. Again I'm just being honest here,
but if I was interested in a game and you sent me that, I'd make the
assumption that it was trashed since you're not giving me any detail at
all, and price it as such.

Seriously, if you can't even be bothered to wipe the game down and take
decent pictures, how is anyone supposed to judge if the parts are worth
anything?

> Here's a quick shot of the James Bond:

(same answer, though I'll be honest my guess is that your BGs are
probably pretty decent but it's impossible to tell that for sure with
these pictures.)

> again, upon request, I can provide more detailed shots.. however, I'm
> just trying to find out if anybody is interested or its even worth
> posting..

Yeah sorry man but you can't really take that attitude and expect to sell
much of anything. That's why it's called SELLing -- you need to actively
SELL what you have if you want other people to buy it.

Let me give you an example, since I apparently never clean out my
webspace... :) A few years ago I had my old HH glass up for sale on
ebay. (Attention future googlers: I DON'T HAVE THIS ANY MORE. DON'T
WRITE ME ABOUT IT, I DON'T HAVE A FAIRY WAND THAT MAGICALLY MAKES PARTS
APPEAR.) I didn't *know* if it'd sell, but I needed to do the work
cleaning it up and photographing it before anyone would be interested.

Here's the ad I used, including the pictures:

http://www.thekorn.net/ebay/hh/...

(I would also give links to the original 3000x2000 images, in case people
wanted them.)

The point is *I* had to do the leg work before even knowing anyone was
interested. You have to make the buyer feel comfortable, and a large
part of that is being able to show them exactly what they'd be buying if
they decide to buy from you. That's how you *sell* stuff.

(...BTW it sold for decent money, considering the condition the glass was
in.)

--
Have a home video that's trapped on your camera? Want to share it on the
web or on DVD?

http://www.webwide...

Rompen

Korn, If you notice, the subject didn't say "pinballs for sale", it
said "found a cache of old pinballs. what to do?"

I wasn't listing anything for sale. I understand what you're saying.
I'm just seeing if what I have is of interest to anybody.

I'm kind of wondering whether to sell.. there's a difference between
selling and asking the community, "what would you do in this
situation?" Sell whole? Part it out? Restore? Etc. That's where
I'm at.

I'm sorry if that wasn't clear. My fault.

TheKorn

Rompen <rompen82@gmail.com> wrote in news:0b4fb680-d4c8-427f-b343-
275a092ffcd5@c10g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:

> Korn, If you notice, the subject didn't say "pinballs for sale", it
> said "found a cache of old pinballs. what to do?"
>
> I wasn't listing anything for sale. I understand what you're saying.
> I'm just seeing if what I have is of interest to anybody.
>
> I'm kind of wondering whether to sell.. there's a difference between
> selling and asking the community, "what would you do in this
> situation?" Sell whole? Part it out? Restore? Etc. That's where
> I'm at.
>
> I'm sorry if that wasn't clear. My fault.

I guess I sorta see your point... kind-of.

In that case, I'd go through them and see what you have, and how much
each game would need (both in time and parts) to make complete. You'll
have to go through them anyway if you do decide to sell/part them, so
it's not really time wasted.

More than likely, I'd turn over most of them and just keep one or two to
work on.

--
Have a home video that's trapped on your camera? Want to share it on the
web or on DVD?

http://www.webwide...

Rompen

Any idea what's of value on these titles? I understand it's all
what someone may need, but I don't have much experience with Sys80
machines. I don't know what parts are more or less desired. I know
for example, that a working sys1 MPU is hard to find, but I don't know
if Sys80s have spider chips or suffer the same problems.

In the case of the Gottliebs, I fear the power supplies and
transformers may be toast. Whether or not those could be easily
replaced would probably determine whether restoration is even an
option.

What's the feeling about James Bond? IPDB reviews say it's a dog. I
don't know if I've ever played it. It is a pretty low production game
with some unique features. Is it underrated? Or really a dog?

The Mata Hari is the game that seems to have the most wear. I know
it's not a rare game - are there any particular parts that are hard to
find?

I also have a Harlem Globetrotters populated playfield.

Regarding the Kiss, are there some parts that aren't repro'd that are
more sought after? I've done a little research and it seems the thing
to do is probably get an Ultimate MPU for this thing and try to
restore it and sell it as a whole. I'm pretty sure the MPU is shot as
there's battery acid damage all over.

I don't know if this stuff is so obscure it's not worth dragging to a
swap meet or whether I should just toss them in a shed and see if
someone ever needs 'em?

TheKorn

Rompen <rompen82@gmail.com> wrote in news:657bcafe-6177-4dab-a168-
c7c54c2a47f8@i3g2000yql.googlegroups.com:

> Any idea what's of value on these titles?

Dude, now you're selling! :D

Of the titles, KISS commands the most money working, then a loooooong way
down is mata hari, then probably buck or spidey, then james bond.

Pretty much after mata hari, they're all not really sought after.

(I like playing mata hari; it'd be the one I'd keep out of those titles,
FWIW.)

> I know
> for example, that a working sys1 MPU is hard to find, but I don't know
> if Sys80s have spider chips or suffer the same problems.

Sys80s don't have spider chips (thank God!), but they do have RIOTs.
RIOTs are not cheap chips (roughly $10), but they can be had.

> In the case of the Gottliebs, I fear the power supplies and
> transformers may be toast.

That's right, some sys80s put the transformers in the ass end of the cab,
forgot about that. The power supplies themselves may be OK, but those
are low $ and fairly common parts.

I'd say unhook the backbox and plug them into a power strip and let
loose. If the circuit breaker on the power strip blows, then yeah the
transformers are probably shot. (Don't want to rely on the fuse in the
game, just in case they've been monkeyed with.)

If they don't blow, I'd take some preliminary measurements off the
transformers to see if they're producing anywhere close to the right
voltages. (See clay's sys80 guide on marvin.)

> What's the feeling about James Bond? IPDB reviews say it's a dog. I
> don't know if I've ever played it. It is a pretty low production game
> with some unique features. Is it underrated? Or really a dog?

No idea, never played one. Same with buck rodgers.

> The Mata Hari is the game that seems to have the most wear. I know
> it's not a rare game - are there any particular parts that are hard to
> find?

I don't *think* so... Bullseye targets are common parts, along with
starburst caps. Really the only game specific stuff on that playfield
are the plastics themselves. Usually you can find *somebody* who wants
to buy a plastic set, if it's in good condition. Then again, CPR has
reproduced this set, so it won't bring a ton of money, either.

> Regarding the Kiss, are there some parts that aren't repro'd that are
> more sought after? I've done a little research and it seems the thing
> to do is probably get an Ultimate MPU for this thing and try to
> restore it and sell it as a whole. I'm pretty sure the MPU is shot as
> there's battery acid damage all over.

"yaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy" You could also buy a reworked bally/stern MPU
board. They're less than half the price of an ultimate MPU. Just be
warned if there is a ton of acid damage it may have trashed the CPU
connectors themselves, and worst case can actually travel along the wires
and trash the *other* end, too!

(I think the only things that haven't been re-done for KISS are the
bumper caps, but I may be wrong on that.)

> I don't know if this stuff is so obscure it's not worth dragging to a
> swap meet or whether I should just toss them in a shed and see if
> someone ever needs 'em?

If you're looking for most bang for least effort, just dragging them all
to a swap like allentown may be your best bet. Sell 'em off cheap, as-
is, where-is.