Re: Crashing RubyConf

Gavin Kistner

9/7/2006 8:55:00 PM

From: James Britt [mailto:james.britt@gmail.com]
> I think the lobby is a public space until you misbehave enough to get
> tossed out. Same for the bar. So you can catch the hallway track.

Is there really a 'hallway track', or are you just poking fun at my sore
spots?

If there is, is there a schedule/list of tracks somewhere that we the
public have access to? I'd be interested to see what intriguing bits I
might be able to learn about if I freeloaded in the public spaces.

All I've been able to find is: http://www.rubyconf.com/... (which
has no information on locations or times).

Or are there just going to be pretty science-fair posters up in the
hallway and hobnobbing to be had?

7 Answers

James Britt

Gavin Kistner wrote:
> From: James Britt [mailto:james.britt@gmail.com]
>
>>I think the lobby is a public space until you misbehave enough to get
>>tossed out. Same for the bar. So you can catch the hallway track.
>

> Is there really a 'hallway track', or are you just poking fun at my sore
> spots?

It's slang for the discussions that occur outside the actual
presentation area, such as the lobby, bar, restaurant, pool-side, or
wherever geeks gather.

My idea of a good conf is when the talks are short and disperse just
enough info and ideas to trigger such extended discussions. A good
hallway track is a sign of a good conference, and it's one of the things
that makes me keep coming to RubyConf.

--
James Britt

"A principle or axiom is of no value without the rules for applying it."
- Len Bullard

Austin Ziegler

On 9/7/06, Gavin Kistner <gavin.kistner@anark.com> wrote:
> From: James Britt [mailto:james.britt@gmail.com]
>> I think the lobby is a public space until you misbehave enough to get
>> tossed out. Same for the bar. So you can catch the hallway track.
> Is there really a 'hallway track', or are you just poking fun at my
> sore spots?

RubyConf is and always has been a single-track event. I have discussed
this with David Black sufficiently to suggest that the likelihood of
RubyConf ever becoming multi-track is very low. (I think a snowball has
a better chance, if you catch my drift.)

However, the planning for RubyConf is sufficiently flexible that there
*is* a hallway track in that there's often a lot of hallway discussions
(without the science-fair posters) and some random hacking that gets
done.

I didn't attend it, but I hear that one of the more interesting
discussions happened around behaviour driven development by the pool in
San Diego last year (I think that I was a bit jet-lagged and therefore
didn't attend that). It was in no way an officially planned event.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com * http://www.halo...
* austin@halostatue.ca * http://www.halo...feed/

dblack

Bil Kleb

Gavin Kistner wrote:

> Is there really a 'hallway track', or are you just poking fun at my sore
> spots?

Maybe we need to institute something equivalent to the 1860s'
Salon des Refusés?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salon_des_Re...

--
Bil Kleb
http://fun3d.lar...

Hal E. Fulton

Bil Kleb wrote:
> Gavin Kistner wrote:
>

>> Is there really a 'hallway track', or are you just poking fun at my sore
>> spots?
>

> Maybe we need to institute something equivalent to the 1860s'
> Salon des Refusés?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salon_des_Re...

Hmm, would that cast David as Napoleon?

Hal

Christian Neukirchen

Hal Fulton <hal9000@hypermetrics.com> writes:

> Bil Kleb wrote:
>> Gavin Kistner wrote:
>>

>>> Is there really a 'hallway track', or are you just poking fun at my sore
>>> spots?
>> Maybe we need to institute something equivalent to the 1860s'
>> Salon des Refusés?
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salon_des_Re...
>

> Hmm, would that cast David as Napoleon?

Now, guess the Waterloo.

--
Christian Neukirchen <chneukirchen@gmail.com> http://chneuk...

A Canuck

On 30/10/2011 9:00 AM, Ken Wesson wrote:
> Every major democracy seems to have mainstream parties ranging from
> centrist or mildly right to extreme right these days, with little in the
> way of leftists. Except Canada. They still have that "NDP" thingy as a
> major party that's left-leaning enough to scare big business out of
> anywhere they get into power, don't they?

Yes, they do, and in the last federal election they pretty much
eradicated the Bloc. I guess les Quebecois got fed up of high prices,
high interest rates, and separatist scumbags.