Crashing RubyConf

Gavin Kistner

9/7/2006 7:33:00 PM

I was not properly paying attention, and now find that the RubyConf site
says that registration is over and the conference is full. Woe to me,
who lives 30 minutes away.

What aspect of the conference is sold out? Is it rooms at the hotel, or
is there a fire-code capacity to the room(s) the conference is being
held in?

Specifically, I'm asking if it might be OK for those of us who live
nearby to drive in, attend sessions, and drive out? Possibly slipping
some cash in the amount of normal registration costs to someone in
charge.

I assume the answer is no, but I had to ask.

11 Answers

James Britt

Gavin Kistner wrote:
> I was not properly paying attention, and now find that the RubyConf site
> says that registration is over and the conference is full. Woe to me,
> who lives 30 minutes away.
>
> What aspect of the conference is sold out? Is it rooms at the hotel, or
> is there a fire-code capacity to the room(s) the conference is being
> held in?
>
> Specifically, I'm asking if it might be OK for those of us who live
> nearby to drive in, attend sessions, and drive out? Possibly slipping
> some cash in the amount of normal registration costs to someone in
> charge.
>
> I assume the answer is no, but I had to ask.

I'd be surprised if cash-in-hand works as a ticket to the conference,
but I don't want to discourage anyone from tossing larges sums of cash a
David and Chad and Rich.

I think the lobby is a public space until you misbehave enough to get
tossed out. Same for the bar. So you can catch the hallway track.

--
James Britt

"I can see them saying something like 'OMG Three Wizards Awesome'"
- billinboston, on reddit.com

Joe Van Dyk

On 9/7/06, James Britt <james.britt@gmail.com> wrote:
> Gavin Kistner wrote:
> > I was not properly paying attention, and now find that the RubyConf site
> > says that registration is over and the conference is full. Woe to me,
> > who lives 30 minutes away.
> >
> > What aspect of the conference is sold out? Is it rooms at the hotel, or
> > is there a fire-code capacity to the room(s) the conference is being
> > held in?
> >
> > Specifically, I'm asking if it might be OK for those of us who live
> > nearby to drive in, attend sessions, and drive out? Possibly slipping
> > some cash in the amount of normal registration costs to someone in
> > charge.
> >
> > I assume the answer is no, but I had to ask.
>
> I'd be surprised if cash-in-hand works as a ticket to the conference,
> but I don't want to discourage anyone from tossing larges sums of cash a
> David and Chad and Rich.
>
> I think the lobby is a public space until you misbehave enough to get
> tossed out. Same for the bar. So you can catch the hallway track.

Hm, what's considered misbehaving? Nudity? Drunkeness? Throwing bacon?

Ara.T.Howard

Aaron Patterson

On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 05:24:29AM +0900, Joe Van Dyk wrote:
[snip]

> Hm, what's considered misbehaving? Nudity? Drunkeness? Throwing bacon?

Throwing bacon is fine. As long as it isn't in cake form. Bacon cake
(known as "cakeon" on the east coast) should be eaten and not thrown.

--Aaron

James Britt

Joe Van Dyk wrote:

> Hm, what's considered misbehaving? Nudity? Drunkeness? Throwing bacon?

I would start with all of that, and somehow work in multiple incendiary
devices and a series of sudden loud noises.

--
James Britt

dblack

James Gray

On Sep 7, 2006, at 6:20 PM, Jim Weirich wrote:

> David wrote:
>> Public areas of the hotel are, of course, hangable out in. I'm sure
>> there will be lots of dining out opportunities, too; not everyone has
>> signed up for the conference meals.
>
> Indeed, the Thursday night before the conference always has a bunch of
> early birds showing up and going out to eat together. If someone
> local
> to Denver wants to make a suggestion for a destination, I'm sure it
> would be great to meet up with some local, non-conference Rubyists.

There's a good Indian restaurant pretty close to there, though the
name escapes me at the moment. There's also a great mexican joint
that makes the guacamole at your table to taste. Darn it, that name
has left me too. (Don't be too hard on my fuzzy memory; it's been
ten years since I lived there.) OK locals, help me with the names...

James Edward Gray II

Paul Lutus

dblack@wobblini.net wrote:

/ ...

> Public areas of the hotel are, of course, hangable out in.

Oh, please, stop, stop. This is a wonderful sentence. I guess this sort of
prose can become natural over time, depending of course on the people ...
around with whom you hang.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.ara...

John W. Long

Paul Lutus wrote:
> dblack@wobblini.net wrote:
>
> / ...
>
>> Public areas of the hotel are, of course, hangable out in.
>
> Oh, please, stop, stop. This is a wonderful sentence. I guess this sort of
> prose can become natural over time, depending of course on the people ...
> around with whom you hang.

class Hallway
include Hangoutable

John Long
http://wiseheart...

Gregory Brown

I must be learning from dblack. Yesterday I uttered the phrase:

> Also, has anyone thought on what days for games?

to our university's frisbee club.