Binding for CORBA

Jeff Wood

9/6/2006 9:14:00 PM

I've seen a number of projects over the years that were trying to hook
up a CORBA orb to Ruby ...

I'd really like to see that happen ...

I mean, take Orbit2 for instance, they provide C, C++, & Python bindings
And, there are others, that have done the exact same ...

I very much need access to a corba object network from my Ruby code (
I'm supporting some legacy apps that aren't going to get rewritten ) ...

I know I can, if I take a lot of time, write the Ruby->Orbit2 ( or which
every orb people want to bind... ) binding myself ... But, it's not my
forte. There are a LOT of people out there that have done work on
implementing bindings, and I see this as something that is definately a
+ for people that are trying to use Ruby as that enterprise glue.

I know a lot of people are all about SOA and REST/SOAP etc ... but,
there are apps out there that just AREN'T coded that way ....

Anyways, if I can get some guidance, I'd very much appreciate it ... I
kinda need it and feel y'all are the best people to ask.

Let me know what you think / how you feel.

Ciao for now.

jd

3 Answers

brabuhr

On 9/6/06, Jeff Wood <jeff@dark-light.com> wrote:
> I very much need access to a corba object network from my Ruby code (
> I'm supporting some legacy apps that aren't going to get rewritten ) ...
>
> I know I can, if I take a lot of time, write the Ruby->Orbit2 ( or which
> every orb people want to bind... ) binding myself ... But, it's not my
> forte. There are a LOT of people out there that have done work on
> implementing bindings, and I see this as something that is definately a
> + for people that are trying to use Ruby as that enterprise glue.

Enterprise Integration with Ruby[1] suggests using a Ruby Java Bridge
to use a Java CORBA client from Ruby code.

[1] http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titl...

Charles O Nutter

On 9/6/06, brabuhr@gmail.com <brabuhr@gmail.com> wrote:
> Enterprise Integration with Ruby[1] suggests using a Ruby Java Bridge
> to use a Java CORBA client from Ruby code.
>
> [1] http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titl...

You may also just want to look at running JRuby, which would give you
direct access to all the same CORBA stuff as well as the rest of
Java-land libraries. www.jruby.org

--
Contribute to RubySpec! @ www.headius.com/rubyspec
Charles Oliver Nutter @ headius.blogspot.com

Jeff Wood

On Wednesday 06 September 2006 17:47, Charles O Nutter wrote:
> On 9/6/06, brabuhr@gmail.com <brabuhr@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Enterprise Integration with Ruby[1] suggests using a Ruby Java Bridge
> > to use a Java CORBA client from Ruby code.
> >
> > [1] http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titl...
>
> You may also just want to look at running JRuby, which would give you
> direct access to all the same CORBA stuff as well as the rest of
> Java-land libraries. www.jruby.org

I absolutely love the work that people have done making jruby work.

I had thought about using jruby, and the thought of having to re-implement all
of the rest of the stuff that I have through Ruby libraries ( other company
specific bindings & technologies ) would take just as long or long as doing a
binding to omniORB or Orbit2 ...

Who knows, I may just snarf the source to fnorb and look into porting the code
to ruby... Since I still haven't written any bindings for myself, I don't
know if that would easier or not than simply doing the binding.

Anyways ... thank you for the input.

jd