Basic authentication with WEBrick?

vasudevram

We are using WEBrick on port 80 for development of a Rails app. [We may
move to Mongrel or some other option later].

Assume our host is http://m....

When we go to http://m..., we get our Rails app's first page
shown correctly.
At this page we will have a login form with username and password.

But we also want to have one more level of authentication, before this
form is shown, a Web server authentication, i.e. when a user tries to
access the URL http://m..., a login dialog should be shown
asking for a username and password - not the username and password of
the Rails app, but one that is handled by the WEBrick server - as I
think is possible (not sure) if using Apache as the web server. Is
there a way to do this with WEBrick?

Thanks
Vasudev
http://www.dancin...

3 Answers

Manfred Stienstra

vasudevram wrote:
> But we also want to have one more level of authentication, before this
> form is shown, a Web server authentication, i.e. when a user tries to
> access the URL http://m..., a login dialog should be shown
> asking for a username and password - not the username and password of
> the Rails app, but one that is handled by the WEBrick server - as I
> think is possible (not sure) if using Apache as the web server. Is
> there a way to do this with WEBrick?

Sure, you can just send http basic or digest authentication headers
from Rails or if you hack around a little bit, WEBrick. I just released
a library for http authentication last week, the digest stuff is still
beta, but you can use the basic authentication.

http://httpauth.rubyforge.org/classes/HTTPAuth/...

The rubyforge project page is here:

http://rubyforge.org/projects...

Eric Hodel

http://microjet.ath.cx/webrickguide/html/HTTP_Authentic...

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://blog.se...

http://trackmap.rob...

vasudevram

Eric Hodel wrote:
> On Sep 6, 2006, at 9:40 AM, vasudevram wrote:
>
> > We are using WEBrick on port 80 for development of a Rails app. [We
> > may
> > move to Mongrel or some other option later].
> >
> > Assume our host is http://m....
> >
> > When we go to http://m..., we get our Rails app's first page
> > shown correctly.
> > At this page we will have a login form with username and password.
> >
> > But we also want to have one more level of authentication, before this
> > form is shown, a Web server authentication, i.e. when a user tries to
> > access the URL http://m..., a login dialog should be shown
>
> http://microjet.ath.cx/webrickguide/html/HTTP_Authentic...
>
> --
> Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://blog.se...
> This implementation is HODEL-HASH-9600 compliant
>
> http://trackmap.rob...

Thanks, all. Will check the links given.

Vasudev
http://www.dancin...