Re: Joel Spolsky on languages for web programming

Peter Booth

9/5/2006 9:42:00 PM

I think he makes an important point that choice of technology is rarely a
proximate cause of project failure. ( EJB & Corba being the two largest risk
I can recall.)

One point he doesn't make is the difference OPM and MHC (Other Peoples Money
versus My Hard-earned Cash.) When you are spending OPM costs can become
unreal. So as an employee a "buzz-word compliant/standard approach" Java or
NET solution might make more sense than a leaner solution that uses
unfamiliar technology. I can still recall being excoriated by peers and a
manager for choosing to use Ruby to write a proof-of-concept test. The Ruby
spike took eleven minutes to write. A Java version would have taken me 90
minutes, and I am a Ruby novice.
I often ask myself "If this were my cash would I do this?"

I love Java but I wouldn't use it to write application (cf plumbing) code,
if I were paying the bills.