Rails and HTTP Authentication

MaggotChild

9/5/2006 6:50:00 PM

Hi, I would like to restrict access the the basic CRUD ops via
htaccess. Requests for /item/list, /item/add etc would prompt the user
for their password. I was thinking I would create a new directory,
apply the htaccess settings, and put a dispatch script in there. But
then I would have to configure rails to look in multiple directories
for a controller (something I dont know how to do), and have two
dispatch.cgi files. What is the ideal approach to achieving security in
rails via htaccess?

Thanks!

2 Answers

Eric Hodel

On Sep 5, 2006, at 11:50 AM, MaggotChild wrote:

> What is the ideal approach to achieving security in rails via
> htaccess?

You want to ask this question on the Rails mailing list, this list is
for generic ruby questions.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://blog.se...

http://trackmap.rob...

MaggotChild

MaggotChild wrote:
> Hi, I would like to restrict access the the basic CRUD ops via
> htaccess. Requests for /item/list, /item/add etc would prompt the user
> for their password. I was thinking I would create a new directory,
> apply the htaccess settings, and put a dispatch script in there. But
> then I would have to configure rails to look in multiple directories
> for a controller (something I dont know how to do), and have two
> dispatch.cgi files. What is the ideal approach to achieving security in
> rails via htaccess?
>
> Thanks!

Found the following plugin:
http://blog.codahale.com/2006/05/11/basic-http-authentication-with-rails-simple_...