[ANN] AP4R, Asynchronous Processing for Ruby, initial release

shinohara.shunichi

9/1/2006 6:22:00 AM

We are pleased to announce the FIRST release of AP4R.

http://rubyforge.org/proj...

== DESCRIPTION

AP4R, Asynchronous Processing for Ruby, is the implementation of
reliable asynchronous message processing. It provides message
queuing, and message dispatching.

Using asynchronous processing, we can cut down turn-around-time
of web applications by queuing, or can utilize more machine power
by load-balancing.

Also AP4R nicely ties with your Ruby on Rails applications.
See HelloWorld sample application from rubyforge.

== INSTALLATION

sudo gem install ap4r

== FEATURES

* Business logics can be implemented as simple Web applications,
or ruby code, whether it's called asynchronously or synchronously.

* Asynchronous messaging are reliable by RDBMS persistence (now
MySQL only) or file persistence.

* Load balancing over multiple AP4R processes on single/multiple servers
is supported.

* Asynchronous processes are called via various protocols, such
as XML-RPC, SOAP, HTTP PUT, and more. (now implemented just as XML-RPC)

== CHANGES

This is the first release!

== ACKNOWLEDGMENT

K.K. and S.S. are on the payroll of Future System Consulting Corp. Japan.

--
Kato, Kiwamu kato.kiwamu@future.co.jp
Shinohara, Shunichi shinohara.shunichi@future.co.jp

---------------------------------
SHINOHARA, Shun'ichi
Future System Consulting, Corp.
3-28-13 Shibuya Shibuya-Ku
Tokyo, JAPAN (ZIP 150-0002)
shinohara.shunichi@future.co.jp

5 Answers

Bob Hutchison

On Sep 1, 2006, at 2:21 AM, <shinohara.shunichi@future.co.jp>
<shinohara.shunichi@future.co.jp> wrote:

> We are pleased to announce the FIRST release of AP4R.
>
> http://rubyforge.org/proj...
>

> == DESCRIPTION
>
> AP4R, Asynchronous Processing for Ruby, is the implementation of
> reliable asynchronous message processing. It provides message
> queuing, and message dispatching.

Interesting. And the timing is nice, I'm just seriously looking into
this sort of thing now. How does your project relate to <http://
rubyforge.org/projects/reliable-msg/>?

Cheers,
Bob

----
Bob Hutchison -- blogs at <http://www.rec...
hutch/>
Recursive Design Inc. -- <http://www.rec...>
Raconteur -- <http://www.raconteur...
xampl for Ruby -- <http://rubyforge.org/projects/...

Francis Cianfrocca

On 9/1/06, Bob Hutchison <hutch@recursive.ca> wrote:

> Interesting. And the timing is nice, I'm just seriously looking into
> this sort of thing now. How does your project relate to <http://
> rubyforge.org/projects/reliable-msg/>?

It's built on top of reliable-msg.

James Britt

shinohara.shunichi@future.co.jp wrote:
> We are pleased to announce the FIRST release of AP4R.
>
> http://rubyforge.org/proj...

Neat. Are there any online docs?

--
James Britt

http://www.ru... - Ruby Help & Documentation
http://www.artima.c... - The Journal By & For Rubyists
http://www.rub... - The Ruby Store for Ruby Stuff
http://www.jame... - Playing with Better Toys

shinohara.shunichi

>> Interesting. And the timing is nice, I'm just seriously looking into
>> this sort of thing now. How does your project relate to <http://
>> rubyforge.org/projects/reliable-msg/>?
>>
>It's built on top of reliable-msg.

Yes, it's completely owe message persistence to reliable-msg.
Main additional function of first version is dispatching messages
to Web server via XML-RPC.
So, we can build system with async processing just writing web
application e.g. with rails.

Another function is load-balancing amoung reliable-msg servers.
But its rather naive implementation, and doesn't work unless you
modify reliable-msg code a little.

Thank you for your interest!

Shinohara, Shunichi