Off topic: What is "top posting" ??

Brad Peek

9/1/2006 3:58:00 AM

What is "top posting" and why is it considered bad form?

Cliff Cyphers

This is top posting.

Brad Peek wrote:
> What is "top posting" and why is it considered bad form?

And this is bottom posting.

There are different etiquette guidelines for each list. Some of it's
personal opinion. I personally like bottom because when you read the
thread you can see where things fit together as far as the back and
forth and you see the big picture of the collaboration the thread brings.

Joel VanderWerf

This is, and it is so considered because many people find it confusing
to read the answer before the question.

Brad Peek wrote:
> What is "top posting" and why is it considered bad form?

jmg3000

Is it because is it considered bad form that you came to this mailing list?

On 8/31/06, Brad Peek <brad_peek@yahoo.com> wrote:

> What is "top posting" and why is it considered bad form?

Logan Capaldo

On Aug 31, 2006, at 11:57 PM, Brad Peek wrote:

> What is "top posting" and why is it considered bad form?

Responding Like This.
> What is top posting?

It's confusing and makes it harder to follow a thread.

John Gabriele wrote:
> Is it because is it considered bad form that you came to this mailing
> list?

Not sure I understand your question. I had read a post in this forum
where someone was asked not to top-post, and I had seen that term
elsewhere so I thought I'd ask about it. I trust the question itself
isn't considered bad form, else I'm hard pressed to figure out what is
and isn't bad form.

Hal E. Fulton

Brad Peek wrote:
> John Gabriele wrote:
>
>>Is it because is it considered bad form that you came to this mailing
>>list?
>

> Not sure I understand your question. I had read a post in this forum
> where someone was asked not to top-post, and I had seen that term
> elsewhere so I thought I'd ask about it. I trust the question itself
> isn't considered bad form, else I'm hard pressed to figure out what is
> and isn't bad form.

The question is obviously fine, and I don't grasp
what John G is saying.

Hal

Matt Todd

> >>Is it because is it considered bad form that you came to this mailing
> >>list?
>
> The question is obviously fine, and I don't grasp
> what John G is saying.

I don't grasp it either.

Thanks for asking, Brad: I didn't know, either, and I think it's good
to have these fundamental meta-questions asked every once in a while
to nudge the long-time users back to reality for a moment!

Cheers,

M.T.

jmg3000

On 9/1/06, Hal Fulton <hal9000@hypermetrics.com> wrote:
> Brad Peek wrote:
> > John Gabriele wrote:
> >
> >>Is it because is it considered bad form that you came to this mailing
> >>list?
> >

> > Not sure I understand your question. I had read a post in this forum
> > where someone was asked not to top-post, and I had seen that term
> > elsewhere so I thought I'd ask about it. I trust the question itself
> > isn't considered bad form, else I'm hard pressed to figure out what is
> > and isn't bad form.
>
> The question is obviously fine, and I don't grasp
> what John G is saying.
>

> Hal

Doh. I'm sorry to waste your time guys. I shouldn't have been so
obscure. I thought it might be humorous and slightly instructive to
have the Emacs Psychiatrist answer Brad's question in top-posting
form, and was waiting for someone to come back top-posted again with
something like: "Does it bother you that is it considered bad form
that I came to this mailing list?". A la:

| Earlier you said it's considered bad form?
|
| > No, I came here to find out...
| >
| > > Is it because it's considered bad form that you came to me?

---John

Hal E. Fulton

> Doh. I'm sorry to waste your time guys. I shouldn't have been so
> obscure. I thought it might be humorous and slightly instructive to
> have the Emacs Psychiatrist answer Brad's question in top-posting
> form, and was waiting for someone to come back top-posted again with
> something like: "Does it bother you that is it considered bad form
> that I came to this mailing list?". A la:

[snip snip]

Ahhh, I thought I detected Eliza in there.

No worries, I might have got it if I had had
less blood in my caffeine stream.

Hal

Chad Perrin

On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 01:13:45PM +0900, Logan Capaldo wrote:
> On Aug 31, 2006, at 11:57 PM, Brad Peek wrote:
> >
> >What is "top posting" and why is it considered bad form?
>
> Responding Like This.
> > What is top posting?
>
> It's confusing and makes it harder to follow a thread.
> > Why is it considered bad form?

I believe the canonical example goes a little something like this:

A. It reverses the normal flow of conversation.
Q. Why is it considered bad form?
A. It's posting the answer above the question.
Q. What is top posting?

--
CCD CopyWrite Chad Perrin [ http://ccd.ap... ]