Re: Unable to gem install rdoc. Can somebody suggest someth

Scott Hodson

8/31/2006 9:26:00 PM

Ross Bamford wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 10:21 +0900, Xeno Campanoli wrote:
>> I'm running on Ubuntu, and have gems kindof apparently installed, and yet I
>> cannot install rdoc:
>
> I assume you're using your distribution's ruby package, in which case
> you may well need to install the appropriate ruby-rdoc package. For
> example on Fedora you have to install ruby-rdoc-1.8.4-3.2.i386.rpm. I
> don't know what it'd be for Ubuntu.
>
> Alternatively, build yourself a full install from source:
>
> ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/ruby-1....
>
> but don't forget to 'make install-doc' after you 'make install' to get
> ri working.

I'm having the same problem on Ubuntu 6.06. I never "make" anything, I
just got the ruby1.8 package via apt-get. I don't see any separate rdoc
packages. Any other Ubuntu users figure this out?

Rick DeNatale

On 8/31/06, Scott Hodson <shodson@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ross Bamford wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 10:21 +0900, Xeno Campanoli wrote:
> >> I'm running on Ubuntu, and have gems kindof apparently installed, and yet I
> >> cannot install rdoc:
> >
> > I assume you're using your distribution's ruby package, in which case
> > you may well need to install the appropriate ruby-rdoc package. For
> > example on Fedora you have to install ruby-rdoc-1.8.4-3.2.i386.rpm. I
> > don't know what it'd be for Ubuntu.
> >
> > Alternatively, build yourself a full install from source:
> >
> > ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/ruby-1....
> >
> > but don't forget to 'make install-doc' after you 'make install' to get
> > ri working.
>
> I'm having the same problem on Ubuntu 6.06. I never "make" anything, I
> just got the ruby1.8 package via apt-get. I don't see any separate rdoc
> packages. Any other Ubuntu users figure this out?

While in general, I LOVE ubuntu and debian, but I've pretty much given
up on using the debian ruby packages, and have built ruby and gem from
source.

The debian maintainers can't seem to come to grips with the way gems
uses the file syustem claiming that they can't make it conform to the
debian standards. I just installed the sources and targetted the
build to /usr/local/lib/ruby Inow get ruby stuff either from source
or with gem, and so far life has been good
--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denh...