Ruby program installed via RPM

Joe Van Dyk

I need to install a Ruby program that's structured like:

bin/start_program.rb
lib/programlibs.rb (multiple files and subdirs here)
share/program.glade (xml file)
share/program.config (config file - should get installed to /etc)

1. Anyone aware of any tools that will help me package this up into
an installable RPM?

2. Where should the program's libraries get installed to?
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/program_subdir ?

Thanks,
Joe

11 Answers

Austin Ziegler

On 8/31/06, Joe Van Dyk <joevandyk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to install a Ruby program that's structured like:
>
> bin/start_program.rb
> lib/programlibs.rb (multiple files and subdirs here)
> share/program.glade (xml file)
> share/program.config (config file - should get installed to /etc)

Why not use a gem?

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com * http://www.halo...
* austin@halostatue.ca * http://www.halo...feed/

Joe Van Dyk

On 8/31/06, Austin Ziegler <halostatue@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/31/06, Joe Van Dyk <joevandyk@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to install a Ruby program that's structured like:
> >
> > bin/start_program.rb
> > lib/programlibs.rb (multiple files and subdirs here)
> > share/program.glade (xml file)
> > share/program.config (config file - should get installed to /etc)
>
> Why not use a gem?

RubyGems is not authorized for use.

Joe

Austin Ziegler

On 8/31/06, Joe Van Dyk <joevandyk@gmail.com> wrote:
> RubyGems is not authorized for use.

And ... what's the reasoning for this? I'm genuinely curious.

In answer to your question, I would follow the guidelines of setup.rb
and use setup.rb itself (see PDF::Writer for how setup.rb can be
extended to include non-Ruby files like your .glade files). Then I'd
wrap that in your RPM and cause "ruby setup.rb install" to be called
by the install script inside of the RPM.

However the hell you do that. ;)

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com * http://www.halo...
* austin@halostatue.ca * http://www.halo...feed/
* austin@zieglers.ca

Joe Van Dyk

On 8/31/06, Austin Ziegler <halostatue@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/31/06, Joe Van Dyk <joevandyk@gmail.com> wrote:
> > RubyGems is not authorized for use.
>
> And ... what's the reasoning for this? I'm genuinely curious.

Our company has rather strict policies on software. One of the
hazards of being a government contractor, I suppose.

> In answer to your question, I would follow the guidelines of setup.rb
> and use setup.rb itself (see PDF::Writer for how setup.rb can be
> extended to include non-Ruby files like your .glade files). Then I'd
> wrap that in your RPM and cause "ruby setup.rb install" to be called
> by the install script inside of the RPM.
>
> However the hell you do that. ;)

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Trans

Joe Van Dyk wrote:
> On 8/31/06, Austin Ziegler <halostatue@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 8/31/06, Joe Van Dyk <joevandyk@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > RubyGems is not authorized for use.
> >
> > And ... what's the reasoning for this? I'm genuinely curious.
>
> Our company has rather strict policies on software. One of the
> hazards of being a government contractor, I suppose.
>
> > In answer to your question, I would follow the guidelines of setup.rb
> > and use setup.rb itself (see PDF::Writer for how setup.rb can be
> > extended to include non-Ruby files like your .glade files). Then I'd
> > wrap that in your RPM and cause "ruby setup.rb install" to be called
> > by the install script inside of the RPM.
> >
> > However the hell you do that. ;)
>
> Thanks, I'll look into that.

I've been _slowly_ working on one. Currently the system can generate a
basic .deb package and I have most of the code written for generating
an .rpm package too, but it's not quite done yet.

If you'd like to work together on it, let me know.

T.

mr bill

On Oct 9, 8:36 pm, george <georgeculol...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 9, 6:27 pm, Deborah <debo...@anywhere.ca> wrote:
>

> > On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 14:03:51 -0700 (PDT), george
>
> > <georgeculol...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > >I believe my conscience is my link to him. As I've learned to listen
> > >to it and do as it directs. IE. Do what's right because it's right.
> > >Thoughts like these. Anyway my life has improved a lot and we talk all
> > >the time now.
>
> > It's funny that there is not a single occurrence of the word
> > "conscience" in the course...
>
> Conscience, Holy Spirit, God's voice. To me they are one in the same.

hmmmmm
but does that make it so?
or just one more illusion?
:)

mr bill

On Oct 9, 8:27 pm, Deborah <debo...@anywhere.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Oct 2009 14:03:51 -0700 (PDT), george
>
> <georgeculol...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >On Oct 7, 1:12 pm, Jasmine <zehno...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> does the Almighty speak to us and if so, how? all thoughts are
> >> appreciated...
>
> >> Peace
>
> >I believe my conscience is my link to him. As I've learned to listen
> >to it and do as it directs. IE. Do what's right because it's right.
> >Thoughts like these. Anyway my life has improved a lot and we talk all
> >the time now.
>
> It's funny that there is not a single occurrence of the word
> "conscience" in the course...

i was wondering if anyone would catch that
:)

george

On Oct 9, 10:10 pm, mr bill <libbysda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 9, 8:36 pm, george <georgeculol...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Oct 9, 6:27 pm, Deborah <debo...@anywhere.ca> wrote:

> > > It's funny that there is not a single occurrence of the word
> > > "conscience" in the course...
>
> > Conscience, Holy Spirit, God's voice. To me they are one in the same.
>
> hmmmmm
> but does that make it so?
> or just one more illusion?
> :)

That depends on if I have faith?

mr bill

On Oct 10, 10:18 am, george <georgeculol...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 9, 10:10 pm, mr bill <libbysda...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Conscience, Holy Spirit, God's voice. To me they are one in the same.
>
> > hmmmmm
> > but does that make it so?
> > or just one more illusion?
> > :)
>
> That depends on if I have faith?

faith is another illusion
it is a nice buzz-word
to make one feel special
but really
what is faith?
by what mechanism
does faith exist?
have you ever noticed
that people only tell the faithless
to have faith?
how can one have faith
if one has no faith?
but anyway
i have a question for you george
why did you phrase that as a question
rather than as a statement?
it is the little things
that give one away
:)

george

On Oct 10, 11:46 am, mr bill <libbysda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 10, 10:18 am, george <georgeculol...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > > hmmmmm
> > > but does that make it so?
> > > or just one more illusion?
> > > :)
>
> > That depends on if I have faith?
>
> faith is another illusion
> it is a nice buzz-word
> to make one feel special
> but really
> what is faith?

Faith is the choice to believe in what can't be proven.

> by what mechanism
> does faith exist?

Faith comes from within. For me, a devout atheist for many years, It
came from a choice to just try and open my mind that I might not know
everything. That I might want to open my mind to see if there was
something else going on here. The something else," that I call God"
rushed in to prove itself to me. It showed me that if I chose to
believe in what it showed me, that my life could be transformed from
an unhappy drug addict to a sober happy life that I wouldn't trade for
the world.

> have you ever noticed
> that people only tell the faithless
> to have faith?

Why would the faithless ever tell someone to have faith? A faithless
person hasn't chosen to believe so they could never understand it.

> how can one have faith
> if one has no faith?

Faith is just a choice. It's choosing to TRY and believe in what can't
be proven in this world beyond doubt. All it takes IMO is the effort
to try. And yet it has been proven to me in this world beyond doubt.
It's nothing that could ever be proven to anyone else but it has been
proven to me by my experiences and thoughts. The faith is what BRINGS
the proof but only to oneself.

> but anyway
> i have a question for you george
> why did you phrase that as a question
> rather than as a statement?
> it is the little things
> that give one away
> :)

It was an accident on the ? I'm not very careful in my writing and
there is no edit function here, even though I saw it as soon as it was
posted. opps.