gem question

Robert H

8/31/2006 6:27:00 PM

When I go to install sqlite3-ruby on Windows XP, I am faced with a list
of version numbers and version types (mswin or rb):

Select which gem to install for your platform (i386-mswin32)
1. sqlite3-ruby 1.1.0 (mswin32)
2. sqlite3-ruby 1.1.0 (ruby)
3. sqlite3-ruby 1.0.1 (mswin32)
4. sqlite3-ruby 1.0.1 (ruby)
5. sqlite3-ruby 1.0.0 (ruby)
6. sqlite3-ruby 1.0.0 (mswin32)
7. sqlite3-ruby 0.9.0 (mswin32)
8. sqlite3-ruby 0.9.0 (ruby)
9. sqlite3-ruby 0.6.0 (ruby)
10. sqlite3-ruby 0.5.0 (ruby)
11. Cancel installation

I am guessing that the ruby ones are just that "pure" ruby and the
mswin32 ones are platform specific (maybe compiled?).

Which should I choose?

Robert

3 Answers

Antonio Cangiano

Robert Hicks wrote:
> Which should I choose?

Select option 1: sqlite3-ruby 1.1.0 (mswin32)

HTH
Antonio

--
http://antonioca...
Zen and the Art of Ruby Programming

John Johnson

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 14:30:32 -0400, Robert Hicks <sigzero@gmail.com> wro=
te:

> When I go to install sqlite3-ruby on Windows XP, I am faced with a lis=
> of version numbers and version types (mswin or rb):
>
> Select which gem to install for your platform (i386-mswin32)
> 1. sqlite3-ruby 1.1.0 (mswin32)
> 2. sqlite3-ruby 1.1.0 (ruby)

You can think of that as mswin32=3DWindows, ruby=3DEverything but Window=
s. The =

mswin32 releases often have precompiled binaries.

Unless you have reason to do otherwise, go with the highest rev number. =
If =

you're on Windows, 1.1.0 (mswin32).

Regards,
JJ

-- =

Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera...

Robert H

John Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 14:30:32 -0400, Robert Hicks <sigzero@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > When I go to install sqlite3-ruby on Windows XP, I am faced with a list
> > of version numbers and version types (mswin or rb):
> >
> > Select which gem to install for your platform (i386-mswin32)
> > 1. sqlite3-ruby 1.1.0 (mswin32)
> > 2. sqlite3-ruby 1.1.0 (ruby)
>
> You can think of that as mswin32=Windows, ruby=Everything but Windows. The
> mswin32 releases often have precompiled binaries.
>
> Unless you have reason to do otherwise, go with the highest rev number. If
> you're on Windows, 1.1.0 (mswin32).
>
> Regards,
> JJ
>

> --