Re: debug flag being ignored

Logan Capaldo

8/31/2006 6:20:00 PM

On Aug 31, 2006, at 2:11 PM, Tom Allison wrote:

> grrr.... that's not what the man pages, books, and everything else
> say...
>
> On 8/31/2006, "Logan Capaldo" <logancapaldo@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 30, 2006, at 11:49 PM, Tom Allison wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to run 'ruby -d foo.rb' and the d is either ignored or I
>>> don't understand how it works. The code just runs as if there is
>>> no -d option.
>>>
>>> Does this require something at compile time of Ruby that I might
>>> have overlooked?
>>>

>> Maybe you wanted ruby -rdebug -d foo.rb ?

Well -d sets $DEBUG to true. -rdebug loads debug.rb which is the
included debugger. The two are actually almost orthogonal most of the
time you can do just ruby -rdebug foo.rb.

As far as what the man page says:
-d
--debug Turns on debug mode. $DEBUG will be set to true.

It doesn't say that it will also run a debugger ;)