Win 98 one-click 1.8.5-21 installer problem

jzakiya

8/31/2006 11:58:00 AM

On my Windows 98 desktop the installer appears to load correctly.
When I attempt to run Freeride from the windows menu, however, the
following message is shown in the DOS terminal window:

---------------------------
c:\ruby\freeride>ruby freeride.rb

Bad command or file name
----------------------------

But, when I go into the c:\ruby\bin directory and run irb it
comes up and runs fine, but I can't get Freeride to run.

I have no problem on a laptop with XP, so is this a Win 98 issues?

Thanks in advance.

Jabari

2 Answers

Austin Ziegler

On 8/31/06, jzakiya@mail.com <jzakiya@mail.com> wrote:
> On my Windows 98 desktop the installer appears to load correctly.
> When I attempt to run Freeride from the windows menu, however, the
> following message is shown in the DOS terminal window:
>
> ---------------------------
> c:\ruby\freeride>ruby freeride.rb
>
> Bad command or file name
> ----------------------------
>
> But, when I go into the c:\ruby\bin directory and run irb it
> comes up and runs fine, but I can't get Freeride to run.
>
> I have no problem on a laptop with XP, so is this a Win 98 issues?

Win98 doesn't keep the environment in the registry. Does your
autoexec.bat include Ruby as part of the path (e.g., is c:\ruby in the
SET PATH= line?). If it isn't, you'll have to add it. If it is, you'll
have to reboot to make it stick.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com * http://www.halo...
* austin@halostatue.ca * http://www.halo...feed/

Curt Hibbs

On 8/31/06, Austin Ziegler <halostatue@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/31/06, jzakiya@mail.com <jzakiya@mail.com> wrote:
> > On my Windows 98 desktop the installer appears to load correctly.
> > When I attempt to run Freeride from the windows menu, however, the
> > following message is shown in the DOS terminal window:
> >
> > ---------------------------
> > c:\ruby\freeride>ruby freeride.rb
> >
> > Bad command or file name
> > ----------------------------
> >
> > But, when I go into the c:\ruby\bin directory and run irb it
> > comes up and runs fine, but I can't get Freeride to run.
> >
> > I have no problem on a laptop with XP, so is this a Win 98 issues?
>
> Win98 doesn't keep the environment in the registry. Does your
> autoexec.bat include Ruby as part of the path (e.g., is c:\ruby in the
> SET PATH= line?). If it isn't, you'll have to add it. If it is, you'll
> have to reboot to make it stick.

The One-Click Installer doesn't officially support Windows 98.
However, if you take Austin's advice it'll probably work (no
guarantees, though).

Curt