Lighter-weight ActiveMQ-like thingy in Ruby?

rubyfan

8/30/2006 9:58:00 PM

Has anyone worked on an ActiveMQ (http://ac... ) like messaging
broker in pure Ruby? Or if now has anyone thought about it? Any
thoughts on what it would take?

ActiveMQ is a beast (especially if you're not familiar with the java
alphabet soup) and I'd like to find something in Ruby (or perhaps
investigate what it would take to create a simpler ActiveMQ-like thing
in Ruby).

Phil

6 Answers

Francis Cianfrocca

On 8/30/06, Phil Tomson <rubyfan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone worked on an ActiveMQ (http://ac... ) like messaging
> broker in pure Ruby? Or if now has anyone thought about it? Any
> thoughts on what it would take?
>
> ActiveMQ is a beast (especially if you're not familiar with the java
> alphabet soup) and I'd like to find something in Ruby (or perhaps
> investigate what it would take to create a simpler ActiveMQ-like thing
> in Ruby).
>
> Phil

I've thought a lot about it, and have already written some code.
Contact me privately if you like and we'll talk about requirements.

Ben Bleything

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006, Phil Tomson wrote:
> Has anyone worked on an ActiveMQ (http://ac... ) like messaging
> broker in pure Ruby? Or if now has anyone thought about it? Any
> thoughts on what it would take?

It looks like something along these lines already exists:
http://rubyforge.org/projects/rel...

I haven't looked at it, but it came up in a thread in December 2005 on a
similar topic: http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-t...

Ben

Francis Cianfrocca

On 8/30/06, Ben Bleything <ben@bleything.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 31, 2006, Phil Tomson wrote:
> > Has anyone worked on an ActiveMQ (http://ac... ) like messaging
> > broker in pure Ruby? Or if now has anyone thought about it? Any
> > thoughts on what it would take?
>
> It looks like something along these lines already exists:
> http://rubyforge.org/projects/rel...
>
> I haven't looked at it, but it came up in a thread in December 2005 on a
> similar topic: http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-t...
>
> Ben

I've talked briefly with Assaf about the reliable-msg project, and
it's very interesting with a lot of nice stuff, in particular an
emphasis on a very simple API (the hallmark of well-designed Ruby
libraries). But according to him he's not adding new features at this
point. (I'm sorry to put words in your mouth, Assaf, please correct me
if I'm wrong.)

Ben Bleything

On Thu, Aug 31, 2006, Francis Cianfrocca wrote:
> I've talked briefly with Assaf about the reliable-msg project, and
> it's very interesting with a lot of nice stuff, in particular an
> emphasis on a very simple API (the hallmark of well-designed Ruby
> libraries). But according to him he's not adding new features at this
> point. (I'm sorry to put words in your mouth, Assaf, please correct me
> if I'm wrong.)

Are there features it's lacking that are required? Did Assaf indicate
that he's no longer interested in maintaining it?

Perhaps someone could step up if the latter is true. I'm inclined
towards the "contribute before replacing" philosophy, and generally
think it's a bummer when a bunch of similar projects appear without good
technical reasons.

Just my opinion, though :)

Ben

Francis Cianfrocca

On 8/30/06, Ben Bleything <ben@bleything.net> wrote:
> Perhaps someone could step up if the latter is true. I'm inclined
> towards the "contribute before replacing" philosophy, and generally
> think it's a bummer when a bunch of similar projects appear without good
> technical reasons.

Good point.

necromancer

S4B spewed:

>On Aug 23, 8:29?am, Mr.B1ack <b...@barrk.net> wrote:
>> Hey ... now that it's OK for govt entities and reps to
>> piss on Moslems and their mosques, looks as if the
>> 'establishment clause' just became obsolete.
>
>The way our govt supports israel, it looks like judaism is the state
>religion.

You must really hate that, don't you...

--
"There's not a shred of evidence that the jerries murdered anything
close to 7 million jooz. Another monstrous lie just like the 9-11

-- Laura Bush murdered her boyfriend, 12/01/2004
Ref: http://tinyurl...