Ruby Books

Dave Dave

8/30/2006 3:50:00 PM

I am trying to get into Ruby programming so that I could eventually work
with Ruby on Rails. Anyone know of good books to get started with Ruby
Programming, or even better any Rails books with a good
overview/tutorial of the Ruby language?

pat eyler

Hi Dave,

On 8/30/06, Dave Dave <brochu121@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to get into Ruby programming so that I could eventually work
> with Ruby on Rails. Anyone know of good books to get started with Ruby
> Programming, or even better any Rails books with a good
> overview/tutorial of the Ruby language?

Are you a beginning programmer? If so, Learn To Program is the book
for you.

If you already have some coding chops, you might look at Programming
Ruby (also known as the Pick-axe) and Ruby for Rails. The upcoming
2nd Edition of The Ruby Way looks to be a good one, but it's not (quite)
out yet.

thanks,
-pate
-------------------------
http://on-ruby.bl...

Rich Morin

"Ruby for Rails" is the first book I have read that
gave me the "aha!" feeling on Ruby. It's not that
the other books are bad, but David Black's writing
and examples are, well, exemplary.

-r
--
http://www.cf... Rich Morin
http://www.cf.../resume rdm@cfcl.com

James Britt

Dave Dave wrote:
> I am trying to get into Ruby programming so that I could eventually work
> with Ruby on Rails. Anyone know of good books to get started with Ruby
> Programming, or even better any Rails books with a good
> overview/tutorial of the Ruby language?

Ruby for Rails by David A. Black on both accounts.

--
James Britt

"Inside every large system there's a small system trying to get out".
- Chet Hendrickson

Alvin Ryder

Dave Dave wrote:
> I am trying to get into Ruby programming so that I could eventually work
> with Ruby on Rails. Anyone know of good books to get started with Ruby
> Programming, or even better any Rails books with a good
> overview/tutorial of the Ruby language?

Every reader's needs are different but I got up to speed quickly with
Dave Thomas and co's books.

I really like "Agile Web Development with Rails" (pdf and or print). I
was able to get started with Rails over one weekend.

For the language itself you can use the Pickaxe book, the first edition
is available on-line for free or you can buy a pdf and or printed copy
of the 2nd edition which covers Ruby 1.8.

Both books have a gentle introduction, meatier middle and reference at
the end. I like "The Depot" case study in the Rails book.

HTH,
Cheers.

Rick DeNatale

On 8/30/06, Alvin Ryder <alvin321@telstra.com> wrote:

> Every reader's needs are different but I got up to speed quickly with
> Dave Thomas and co's books.
>
> I really like "Agile Web Development with Rails" (pdf and or print). I
> was able to get started with Rails over one weekend.

I do too, although the first ed. is getting to be a bit behind the
curve. For example it doesn't cover migrations.

Does anyone have a comment on how the 2nd de. is coming along. I
guess that that's really a question for the rails forum, but drinking
from this one fire hose is enough. <G>

Dark Ambient

2nd edition is keeping my head spinning. I mean this in a positive
way. I'm taking your question as a way to find out if the 2nd edition
is worth investing in. It is ! Get it now!
Don't delay. Seriously, it is quite full and packed with plenty of
information both for ways to do things and guidance and just old plain
referencing.

If I can ever write an app it's going to be because of AWDWR 2nd edition.

Stuart

p.s. user mileage may vary

On 8/30/06, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/30/06, Alvin Ryder <alvin321@telstra.com> wrote:
>
> > Every reader's needs are different but I got up to speed quickly with
> > Dave Thomas and co's books.
> >
> > I really like "Agile Web Development with Rails" (pdf and or print). I
> > was able to get started with Rails over one weekend.
>
> I do too, although the first ed. is getting to be a bit behind the
> curve. For example it doesn't cover migrations.
>
> Does anyone have a comment on how the 2nd de. is coming along. I
> guess that that's really a question for the rails forum, but drinking
> from this one fire hose is enough. <G>

Dark Ambient

I should add that I have no experience with the 1st edition of the
book. Certainly there is plenty in the API manual that may not be
touched on in the book but it seems like a great springboard.

Stuart

Rick DeNatale wrote:
> On 8/30/06, Alvin Ryder <alvin321@telstra.com> wrote:
>
> > Every reader's needs are different but I got up to speed quickly with
> > Dave Thomas and co's books.
> >
> > I really like "Agile Web Development with Rails" (pdf and or print). I
> > was able to get started with Rails over one weekend.
>
> I do too, although the first ed. is getting to be a bit behind the
> curve. For example it doesn't cover migrations.
>
> Does anyone have a comment on how the 2nd de. is coming along. I
> guess that that's really a question for the rails forum, but drinking
> from this one fire hose is enough. <G>

I agree that one fire hose is plenty enough for most of us.

Otherwise I've only had the 2nd ed for a couple of days but from what I
can tell, except for the last chapter, it appears to be nearly
completed, You can buy now and upgrade as newer versions come alone.

Cheers

EdUarDo

> Does anyone have a comment on how the 2nd de. is coming along. I
> guess that that's really a question for the rails forum, but drinking
> from this one fire hose is enough. <G>

I have both of them, and 2nd ed although is a beta version covers many new
Rails features (migrations, REST, some of AJAX...). First ed. is really good, but
2nd is better.

Answering the original post, I think Pickaxe is the better choice. But I must say
I haven't read Ruby for Rails.

Dark Ambient

The recently released book , Ruby Cookbook while not an outright
learning book, used in adjunct can be quite helpful. There is a
chapter devoted to Rails, the first chapter covers ERB templates and
many other recipes can be very useful in a Rails app.

Stuart